View Single Post
Old 10-12-2007, 08:59 AM   #225
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynor View Post
As far as I can tell, this relates more to your personal interpretation and approach, which I respect, than to the possibility to identify such elements in his writing. Therefore, I believe this is a case where we should agree to disagree.
No, this is not a subjective issue. The (modern) human mind tends to analyze (break apart) that with which it is confronted. Whereas there are benefits to such activity, as can be seen from the development of modern technology, there is a price paid. The price that is paid is the part of a thing that seems of less value to the analyzer. Example: the Greek distinction between soul and body - western history shows us that there have been (at least) two schools of thought, one valuing soul higher, the other valuing body higher, with results ranging from aesceticism to naturalism. In the same way, distinguising between two aspects of evil will lead to the devaluing of one of those aspects. Evil doesn't change, but the way we deal with it does, and that could be devastating if we have lost something in our analysis that is too costly.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote