View Single Post
Old 08-06-2006, 11:52 AM   #23
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Back after a break.....

Just to remind those who may have forgotten, but this scene (one of my favoruites in the whole trilogy and made me burst into tears) is loosely based on Aragorn kneeling to the Hobbits at Cormallen.

Quote:
And so the red blood blushing in their faces and their eyes shining with wonder, Frodo and Sam went forward and saw that amidst the clamorous host were set three high-seats built of green turves. Behind the seat upon the right floated, white on green, a great horse running free; upon the left was a banner, silver upon blue, a ship swan-prowed faring on the sea; but behind the highest throne in the midst of all a great standard was spread in the breeze, and there a white tree flowered upon a sable field beneath a shining crown and seven glittering stars. On the throne sat a mail-clad man, a great sword was laid across his knees, but he wore no helm. As they drew near he rose. And then they knew him, changed as he was, so high and glad of face, kingly, lord of Men, dark-haired with eyes of grey.
Frodo ran to meet him, and Sam followed close behind. 'Well, if that isn't the crown of all!' he said. 'Strider, or I'm still asleep!'
'Yes, Sam, Strider,' said Aragorn. 'It is a long way, is it not, from Bree, where you did not like the look of me? A long way for us all but yours has been the darkest road.'
And then to Sam's surprise and utter confusion he bowed his knee before them; and taking them by the hand, Frodo upon his right and Sam upon his left, he led them to the throne, and setting them upon it, he turned to the men and captains who stood by and spoke, so that his voice rang over all the host, crying:
'Praise them with great praise!'
So Jackson's take on it is not much different - I admit Merry and Pippin should not be included to make the scene closer to the book, but I can live with that.

So to say it is superfluous or honey sweet then we must include Tolkien's work itself in this criticism.....

This scene in the book is one of my favourites - that a king will bow down before two 'lowly' hobbits (and actually seat them on his throne!!!!) shows the mark of the man, and his heartfelt gratitude to his friends. I gush with pride for Frodo and Sam when I read this scene every time. And I was so glad that Jackson paid homage to it in his scene, which was beautifully done.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote