View Single Post
Old 12-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #12
gandalf85
Wight

gandalf85 has just left Hobbiton.
Great job on the chapter. A few comments:

1) There appears to be a typo/grammatical issue in Unfinished Tales:

Quote:
In that tongue Erendis was nurtured; but Aldarion spoke the Númenórean speech, although as all high men of Númenor he knew also the tongue of Beleriand.
This doesn't seem grammatically correct. I believe it should be something like:

Quote:
In that tongue Erendis was nurtured; but Aldarion spoke the Númenórean speech, although as with all high men of Númenor he knew also the tongue of Beleriand.
2) I think you forgot to remove an editorial insertion of Christopher's:

Quote:
This note further states that although Sindarin as used for a long period by mortal Men tended to become divergent and dialectal...
This should be changed to:

Quote:
{This note further states that a} Although Sindarin was used for a long period by mortal Men tended to become divergent and dialectal...
3) Whether to include multiple alternate versions of the story is a very tricksy issue. Arcus, when you list your three possibilities, your first possibility is "We stick with giving both versions, which was never intended by Tolkien." Do you mean for this particular story or as a general principle for constructing the Silmarillion? If it's the latter, I can't find any explicit statement by Tolkien to this effect. There are several instances in his writings where things are explicitly ambiguous, notably all the statements which start "It is said that". When constructing his "Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun" he combined multiple versions of the stories together into one consistent whole, but I'm not sure we need to do the same for "Aldarion and Erendis". I think the ambiguity is especially suitable given the fact that the story is one of Numenor, and most of the official records were lost in the downfall.
gandalf85 is offline   Reply With Quote