View Single Post
Old 02-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #51
ArcusCalion
Quentingolmo

ArcusCalion has just left Hobbiton.
Sending this draft to gandalf, I realized I had made some changes that I had not commented on. I will do so here:

1)
Quote:
... her more than all others whom Eru made. Vala-0.245 <MT Varda was the most foresighted of all the Valar, possessing the clearest memory of the Music and Vision in which she had played only a small part as actor or player, but had listened most attentively.> Manwë and Varda are seldom parted, and they remain in Valinor. Vala-02.5 <LT With them came many of those lesser {Vali}[Ainur] who loved them and had played nigh them and attuned their music to theirs, and these are the Mánir and the Súruli, the sylphs of the airs and of the winds.> Their halls are above
Since we have elsewhere taken new information from the Book of Lost Tales, and we have used some of the names for the types of the Maiar (such as the Oarni in the Tale of Earendil) I see no reason why we cannot include the information on them here. I also included a small snippet from Myths Transformed, which gives us more info about Varda.

2)
Quote:
... Thus news comes to Ulmo, even in the deeps, of all the needs and griefs of Arda, which otherwise would be hidden from Manwë. Vala-02.7 <LT {with them}With him came the troops of the Oarni and Falmaríni and the long-tressed Wingildi, and these are the spirits of the foam and the surf of ocean.>
This is added in the same vein as the previous addition, and gives an introduction to the Oarni who later appear in the Tale of Earendil.

3)
Quote:
... Kementári, Queen of the Earth, she is surnamed in the Eldarin tongue. Vala-03.1 <LT {About them}With Aulë and Yavanna fared a great host who are the sprites of trees and woods, of dale and forest and mountain-side, or those that sing amid the grass at morning and chant among the standing corn at eve. These are the Nermir and the Tavari, Nandini and Orossi, brownies, fays, pixies, leprawns, and what else are they not called, for their number is very great: yet must they not be confused with the Eldar, for they were born before the world and are older than its oldest, and are not of it, but laugh at it much, for had they not somewhat to do with its making, so that it is for the most part a play for them; but the Eldar are of the world and love it with a great and burning love, and are wistful in all their happiness for that reason.>
Another addition in the same vein.

4)
Quote:
... Mightier than Estë is Niënna, sister of Vala-04.2 {the Fëanturi}<Vq2 Námo>; she dwells alone. Vala-04.3 <LT Many other names has she that are spoken seldom and all are grievous, for she is Núri who sighs and {Heskil}[Heskin] who breedeth winter, and all must bow before her as Qualmë-Tári the mistress of death.>
I added these titles of hers in from the Lost Tales, since there is no reason not to. I updated the one that needed updating to LotR style Quenya.

5)
Quote:
... All flowers spring as she passes and open if she glances upon them; and all birds sing at her coming. Vala-05.25 <LT She is Tuilérë or as the Valar said Vána Tuivána who bringeth spring, and all sing her praises as Tari-Laisi mistress of life.>
Another addition of titles, some of which are later used in other chapters in our current drafts.

6)
Quote:
.... and of her he learned pity and patience.vVala-06 <LT {Last}To Arda last of all came Ómar who is called Amillo, youngest of the great {Valar}[Maiar], and he sang songs as he came.>
I added this in, since we later mention him in other chapters I believe. I saw no reason to remove him, but I suppose this is a contentious addition and it may be removed.
ArcusCalion is offline   Reply With Quote