View Single Post
Old 10-07-2003, 07:59 PM   #120
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Tinuviel's post

Reynion felt very much out of place when the tired group entered Thranduil's hall. His heart was heavy with guilt over Talas' death and with sorrow over his lost leg (and with it his hope that Taurewen could love him) and the reunions of family members were only a bitter reminder of his parting words to his own father.

He stood silently as Ceros told of their journey, and winced when he came to the part where he had lost his leg. Eyes turned toward him, and he held his head high, meeting no one's eyes. He would be glad when this ordeal was over.

His mother and, surprisingly, his father approached him immediately after Ceros' recital. Eldarion was thoroughly sorry for his angry words to his son; the fear that Reynion wouldn't come back had taught him just how important his son was to him. Reyn wasn't entirely pleased to be reconciled to his father under these circumstances, but it was pleasant to be with him without the friction that had marked their meetings for the past centuries.

Well, it was pleasant until the subject of conversation came around to Reynion's missing piece.

"I'm so sorry, son. You must feel it deeply." Pity was one thing that Reyn hated, and from his father--it felt as though his father had traded one way of looking down on him for another. And since he could no longer live in the middle of Greenwood--no, Mirkwood--alone, he would either have to live with his parents, or with someone else. Either way, he couldn't be alone. He'd almost forgotten that during the long imprisonment in the Cage.

"Father, if you never mention that again, I will be grateful."

The music made Reynion sick to his stomach. It was like someone was deliberately trying to remind him of all the things he could no longer do. The dancers all looked like they were enjoying themselves, even if the cause of celebration was mixed with sorrow.

Reyn watched them, bitterly contemplating centuries of this standing on the outskirts, forever condemned to watch and never experience that again. He finally couldn't take it, and began to walk out of the hall.

A flash of movement caught his eye. A swirl of blond hair, a hint of green, and he knew that Taurewen had arrived. He smiled almost unconciously--until he saw her dancing with Orodhin.

Then he walked out.

Nerindel's post

The return journey was a hard one for Taurėwen, after the death of her brother Reynion had become distant, spending less and less time with her. Her heart was heavy with sadness, but for the sake of the others, especially the ones they had freed she wore an air of care, happiness and hope, even calling for Ihwesta to sing a song to lighted their hearts. A small part of her was glad to be returning, but she feared most explaining that she had found Talas only to lose him again. Every night after she had made sure everyone was well and sleeping she would find a quiet spot and cry herself to sleep.

When they finally passed through the south gate Taurėwen did not fail to notice that the eerie silence had followed them home, She continued on her head bent wearily, barely registered the words spoken between Ceros and the guards.

She stood in silence, head bowed as Ceros recounted their journey for Thranduil, her tear streaked face raising in horror as her king told of the attack by the spiders and the damage they had inflicted, she saw weariness in his noble face as he spoke.

After Thranduil had decreed that a feast would be held in their honour and to honour those lost, she found herself face to face with her father, he had been in the hall when they had arrived and had heard Ceros's account.

"Daughter!" He smiled weakly pulling her into his arms, She burst into tears sobbing uncontrollably on his strong shoulders, after a few moments she pushed him away, "Where is mother, I have news that you should hear together" she whispered unable to look into his eyes, "At home" he replied worry creasing his greying brow, "Then let us go," but as they left she glanced over her shoulder to find Reynion, but he was being fussed over by his parents, so she left to deliver her unpleasant news.

On reaching her home she was greeted by her mother, "Oh! it is true, you are home and you are safe!!!" she cried embracing her daughter so tight that Taurėwen thought she would not be able to breath, but sensing something was wrong she let her daughter go, "What is it! what's wrong daughter?" she asked gently.

"I found him I found Talas, but on the journey home he was slain, I couldn't save him, I couldn't bring him home! I'm sorry" she sobbed falling to her knees. To her surprise her mother and father gathered her up, their eyes were streaked with tears, not only for the news that their son was indeed lost,But for their daughters apparent pain and guilt.

"Do not look for fault in yourself daughter, it was not your blade that stole Talas' life it is these foul creatures that infest our realm, that we hold accountable!" her father whispered softly.

many hours passed as they comforted each other and bit by bit Taurėwen told her tale to them, leaving out the fact that Talas had been over come by the darkness. "You love him?" her mother asked as Taurėwen spoke of Reynion, "Yes I believe I do" she smiled weakly. "Then you should go to him you have both been through alot and will need each others support" her mother urged gently.

"Your mother is right and I believe if Talas was here he would want to see you happy" her father added. Taurėwen nodded, knowing this to be true.

"It is over Daughter, you are home and you should be happy tonight, celebrate your brothers life, don't mourn his loss" her father said lifting her head so her eyes met with his.

"No father it has just begun, but you are right I will celebrate my brothers life and honour him by doing all that I can to help heal Greenwood of it's darkness!"

After washing and slipping into a white and silver dress with matching slippers that had been her bothers favourite, she made her way to the feast, she was late, so she silently slipped onto her seat, during the meal toasts were made for each of those who were lost.

Then when the tables were cleared and the bards and minstrels called the feasting hall was filled with merry music, light melodic singing and light feet dance to and fro. Seeing Ihwesta and Ceros dancing in each others arms, Taurėwen went looking for Reynion, determined to let him know that she loved him and that she didn't blame him for Talas's death.

But as she searched she was stopped by Orodhin, Ihwesta's older brother, "May I have this dance?" he asked softly, Not wishing to be rude she nodded and let him lead her to the dance floor, but as they danced around the room her eyes searched for Reynion, but he was not there.

In that instant Taurėwen felt a gap in her heart as though something was missing, but the festivities of the night swept her away, the company laughed and danced the night away, none of them willing to speak of the horrors they had witnesses, but none of them forgetting those they had lost.

It was the next day before Taurėwen found out about Reynion's departure, it cut her deeply that he had not spoken to anyone about his departure, but it hurt her more that he had not even said goodbye.

Over the following weeks and months Taurėwen was kept busy tending the succumbed and helping them readjust back into everyday life, but the gap in her heart always remained, no matter what she did to try and fill it. The secret promises she made on their journey she never forgot an she dedicated herself to the protection and healing of the Greenwood.

[ October 08, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]