View Single Post
Old 04-07-2005, 10:22 AM   #21
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
I would associate the kind of cheeky confidence Sam shows with youthfulness. Granted, he wasn't that much younger than Frodo, only 12 years, but certainly by no means old by hobbit standards. He is admonished by Faramir, who tells him that he (yet) lacks the wisdom his master has.

I suppose this is true, but nevertheless, Sam always seems the most "grown up" of the hobbits to me becasue he has worked for his living and is far more in touch with the realities of life as experienced by most people, than any of the other hobbits - or perhaps indeed any other character. May be this is what gives him confidence - for in a sense, someone who works an honest trade is noone's inferior.

He has an inherent sense of what he feels is right and he does not let any rank or system of behviour to get in the way - although I can think of few people less anarchic. For all his "mister Frodos", he has no fear to speak out to Aragorn, Elrond, Faramir... (the young hobbit who was giving him "sauce"!).

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote