View Single Post
Old 12-10-2002, 03:03 PM   #15
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye

Well I think it was a good question Galorme [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I guess the assault on Dol Guldur must have been put together in Lothlorien. I see two alternatives.

Maybe it was a purely 'magical' attack, with the council members (Gandalf, Elrond, Saruman etc.) lending their power to Galadriel to extend her 'anti-bad guy' exclusion zone over the river to Dol Guldur, making the place untenable by the Necromancer and his servants. Presumably this would have used the combined powers of all three elven rings.

Alternatively, could there have been a physical assault on Dol Guldur by the elves of Lothlorien? I'd guess this would be backed up with as much 'magic' as possible as above.

The books don't seem to provide any info on the subject, so its down to us to speculate!

By the way, Dol Guldur was an isolated mountain in Southern Mirkwood. It had been an elven settlement in earlier days, but was now Sauron's Western HQ. Don't know if it had buildings and towers etc. but it certainly had dungeons, where Thrain was imprisoned (100 years ago last Tuesday from the start of the Hobbit!)