View Single Post
Old 09-03-2006, 07:23 AM   #182
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
First of all, this is a very interesting debate to follow, though it still seems to come down to what we accept as a definition of the term 'Christian work'. I agree so far with the arguments, though not on all occasions with the tone, of davem.

I have just a little to add to the side issues of this discussion.

Some time ago Fea wrote
Quote:
The problem with that idea is saying that I should be concerned with logic when making associations.
and Mansun agreed on this. On this background I'd like to add to
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
My point is that each individual reader will still find his or her own “meaning” within LotR. That’s fine by me and I am more than happy to listen to, and discuss, the opinions of others. Where a strong case is put forward for a particular “meaning” , for example on the basis of the text itself and/or extraneous material indicating authorial intention, I am generally quite happy to absorb it within my own understanding of the book, provided that it does not conflict with my own individual intepretation or even, occasionally, if it does - if it makes more sense within the context of my overall understanding of the book.
that the reader is not entirely free in his/her meaning of LotR or any book. A meaning or opinion needs to satisfy coherence and conclusiveness in order to not be, well, meaningless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
I would suggest that it is a basic premise of the book that it is “right” to treat Orcs without kindness or mercy
I would disagree on this on the basis of Gandalf's words to Denethor: "As for me, I pity even his slaves"
It is not absolutely clear who he refers to with 'slaves'. I picture all the tiny, miserable snagas, but it could well also only refer to the men under Sauron's knout.
If we agree on the former, then orcs are to be pitied - at least in theory.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote