View Single Post
Old 06-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #21
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotrelf View Post
On a side note, didn't Galadriel let herself be tempted unlike Gandalf? She let herself be tempted and resisted, something that Gandalf didn't do (because he never needed it, and I think she needed to do so in order to be accepted in Valinor). Whatever the reason is, that does not make Gandalf inferior to Galadriel.
Galadriel's desire for power to resist Sauron and preserve the beauty of Lothlórien was her temptation, and an obvious one. But I don't think it can be said that Gandalf had never felt the pull of the Ring. When Frodo offers him the Ring (as he later does Galadriel), Gandalf's response seems no less considered than does Galadriel's.

Quote:
'With that power I should have power too great and terrible. And over me the Ring would gain a power still greater and more deadly. Do not tempt me! For I do not wish to become like the Dark Lord himself, Yet the way of the Ring to my heart is by pity, pity for weakness and the desire of strength to do good.'
FOTR The Shadow of the Past

Compare that with Galadriel's rejection of the Ring.

Quote:
'You will give me the Ring freely! In place of the Dark Lord you will set up a Queen. And I shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night!....Stronger than the foundations of the earth. All shall love me and despair!'
FOTR The Mirror of Galadriel

If Gandalf had not been tempted, I do not think his reaction to Frodo would have been so near to Galadriel's words.