View Single Post
Old 12-19-2003, 10:05 AM   #23
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

'I just have to laugh at you guys.'<BR>Go right ahead grey istar. But is there a point you want to make? Or do you just want a public record to be made of ridiculing others opinions without contributing meaningfully?<P>Essex just posted: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I do not get any levels of complexity from Denethor in the books that some people state above.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I think much of his complexity is from the Palantir of course but also what after a read or two we can guess some of what was going on in his mind.<P>* His knowledge of Thorongil as probable Heir of Isildur from an early age. <P>*Being burned by Saruman a seeming ally turned enemy of his only substantial allied army.<P>*A justifiable concern that his country could be distracted/divided from/during War by a claimant to the throne, and that the said claimant may be as well suited to ruling Gondor as the heirs of Arnor werre successful in maintaing their realm [always seemingly a sore point with Gondor]!<P>*Denthor knew I think that there was some sort of Alliance between The Northern remnants of the Dunedain and of Lorien and Rivendell but [I think we may assume] he had always been excluded. <P>*He may well also have felt that if the 'northern alliance' was fooled by Saruman for who knows how long then who knows what other traitors and ambitions lurked amongst them.<P>*His not quite knowing who Gandalf is and how he fits into the scheme [though Gandalf comes as close to telling him he is a Maia as he thinks he should with, 'Do you not know that I too am a steward'?]. <P>*Denethor despite serious and in some ways justifiable concerns[listed above] allowed Gandalf to stay in the upper levels and even took [no pun intended] what may well have been otherwise seen as a postential 'spy' [pippin] into his service, to hear every word spoken in front of Denethor.<P>I call all that complex myself.<P>Also added the few times when Denethor's humanity peep through [accepting Pippin, the repentance towards his son].<P>The fact that all of this was replaced by the ill-mannered, one-sided Palantir-less 'Denethor' was a real shame to me. And for me highlights the tragedy of the movies [though I am not saying it outweighs all 'benefits] - that they take Tolkien's 4 dimensional world full of politics, long suffering love, mixed allegiances and fragile alliances, etc, and reduce it to what PJ thinks an 'avg' moviegoer can handle.<P>Instead of trusting that the watcher can deal with a few unexplained references [and heck might even want to read the book to have them explained!] all must be self-contained.<P>Anyway hope some of the above might explain a little of what some might see as Denethor's 'complexity'.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote