View Single Post
Old 06-25-2003, 10:07 AM   #26
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

StarJewel, since when was Galadriel's mother a Vanya?!?! Read the Silmarillion. Galadriel's mother is Earwen, the daughter of Olwë, the King of the Teleri. Earwen had silver hair, and Galadriel inherited some of it. That was why her hair was considered so beautiful. It had both the gold of her father Finarfin (inherited from his mother Indis of the Vanyar) and the silver of her mother Earwen (inherited from Olwë of the Teleri).

As for Legolas' hair, I'd stick with the white-blond color that it is in the movies, or golden like his father. Silvan Elves were slightly stockier than the Eldar, who were most often described as tall and slender, so I can also see Legolas as being slightly shorter than the Noldor at Elrond's Council. I think that his coloring was right in the movie. Only the Noldor, or those of Noldorin blood, had dark dark hair. The darkest that most of the others got was golden-brown, or probably a light chocolate-brown. I don't think that he was as dark as Elrond.

You also have to remember that when Tolkien refers to the Moriquendi, or the Dark Elves, he doesn't mean their coloring. That has confused many people. He means that they were the Elves who did not see the light of Aman (the Two Trees), NOT their color. So they could have been white-blond, with blue eyes.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.