View Single Post
Old 01-26-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
Sardy
Wight

Sardy has just left Hobbiton.
Interesting, I hadn't realized that Gildor, et al had been raised in Valinor - surely that would affect their perception of the world around them...

And to clarify (in case it wasn't clearly stated in my post) I'm less interested in Elvish "powers" as they are manifested externally upon the world around them, as much as the nature of their consciousness and perception: how they "see" and experience the world, time and how they perceive "reality" not just with the five senses but with other senses, different paradigms and (if you'll excuse the expression) a "psychedelic", meditative, or eastern outlook...

Quote:
"The hobbits sat in shadow by the wayside. Before long the Elves came down the lane toward the valley. They passed slowly, and the hobbits could see the starlight glimmering on their hair and in their eyes. They bore no lights, yet as they walked a shimmer, like the light of the moon above the rim of the hills before it rises, seemed to fall about their feet. They were now silent, and as the last Elf passed he turned and looked toward the hobbits and laughed."
Quote:
The Elves have their own labours, and their own sorrows, and they are little concerned with the ways of hobbits, or of any other creatures upon earth.
I think, looking at the above quotes, that we can view their isolationist tendencies as much more than "Elvish [self]-concern" and go deeper, finding a radically different approach to consciousness, time sense and their relationship with the world/reality...

Quote:
From: http://realitysandwich.com/167448/to...consciousness/
What is certain is that Tolkien's quest, often couched in the language of his discipline of philology, was to retrace the route of the development of modern consciousness back to that primal mind, "alive with mythological beings," which he termed Faery. Given the obviously visionary component of Tolkien's work, it is odd that more attention hasn't been given to this aspect of its nature.