View Single Post
Old 06-26-2006, 06:10 PM   #85
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Nogrod,

I'd have no problem if the posters for the slave escapees want to get together before the game opens (or early on) and decide on the discussion thread if they have a clear leader. I'd also have no problem if someone agreed to develop a secondary character with bio who could technically be the leader, the posters decided to play things out gradually, or they agreed that, given the particular characters who are represented in the game, there simply is no clear cut leader for the group. I think any of these scenarios is believable. So far, a lot of the slave characters are young (one elderly) and they would probably not emerge as leaders at least in a military sense. I think that's what you're referring to.

I do think it would be hard to have a leader who is not played by an actual poster (i.e., at least a minor character). There will be various negotiations and planning in the story and presumably the "leader" would be expected to speak.

With the exception of Undómë's, we don't have any character who could be considered a slave elder (and her character is not a typical elder). I agree with you that most elders were likely killed on the plantation or in the escape.

I honestly think that other posters will give Khamir a run for his money, even if he emerges as the only leader for the combined group of slaves and ex-slaves. Very soon these two groups will merge (actually they have to merge to survive) .....by definition, everyone is now an ex-slave. (Durelin and I even considered not having a separate group of ex-slaves but decided to keep them.) Usually, posters are not reticent to create conflict and dilemmas for their leaders and other companions, even if they have young or elderly characters.

Plus being a leader is a relative thing, especially with Tolkien. Someone may have a strength that pushes them forward for one scenario. But in another situation someone else will take over.

Since I have no slave character, Durelin may have more feelings/ideas about this since she does have a slave character and will be more active in that "wing" of the story.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 06-27-2006 at 12:36 AM.