Thread: Itaril
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #17
Dilettante
Animated Skeleton

Dilettante has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
So it seems like PJ & Co. nicked the name for some token female Elf who wasn't in the book either, but whose presence is presumed necessary in order to feed the unwashed movie-watching masses' hunger for on-screen romance. I'm afraid it takes no extraordinary sagacity to guess who the "young Elf lord" she falls in love with is going to be... *shudder*
*suppressed chuckle* How very apt a description. *SIGH* just when I thought things would turn out well too. I guess we shouldn't be surprised, everyone these days thinks they can "improve" on an already perfect story by "modernizing" it or making it relevant to today.

Good looking strong female roles are put into plots a.) to attract female viewers who want someone in the story they can relate to and b.) to attract men that want to gawk at onscreen females. Because we all know the story just isn't good enough on it's own. My money is on her falling in love with Legolas (who will probably have a scene where he's doing some smithing, because Orlando Bloom seems to play a blacksmith a lot.)

It's Arwen taking Glorfindel's part again....only worse because Arwen is at least an original character.