View Single Post
Old 09-24-2004, 11:04 AM   #18
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Re:

I'm happy being a "First Born".

If I was around back when any of it was first written, I'd have been hooked. But hey, 1985 was long after most of it was released.

I remember first getting into it. For starters ... I think I HAD seen the cartoon Hobbit movie beforehand ... but I'd totally forgotten about it, as I'd seen it when I was very little and totally forgot.

So in my Freshman year (I think) we read the Hobbit, and I was like ... OOOOOOOH MAN.

Instantaneously into it.

It was like a Ninth Grade reading class (maybe 8th ... memory fuzziness), and instead of reading any of the other books for the class, I managed to con my LOTR obsessed teacher (our school had a class called Trilogy) into letting me read the entire Trilogy for reading, as a sort of independent study which still counted as reading, instead of reading some real crap.

And because I wasn't reading what the rest of the class was reading, I got to read in her Trilogy classroom, which was a small, air-conditioned room with a table, chairs, and walls plastered with LOTR posters.

What a way for a kid to get into it. That was like ... 1998 or 1999.

I was like ... 13, 14.

I'm a youngin' still, at 19. But hey, I'm hooked forever now.

I had NO clue a movie was being made, and I read it like ten times before I found out. That was a pleasant little shock. As far as the movies go ... I guess I'm a fanatic, in that like any other book reader, I knew what was different, and I used to point it out a lot, but I got annoyed by the constant pointing of it out.

So I just like the movies now. A lot.

They stand on their own as awesome.

Of course, they're not the books.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote