View Single Post
Old 07-09-2003, 09:14 PM   #54
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Welcome to Aegnor, Legolas, and Novnarwen.

Aegnor and Novnarwen - while having a few of the HoMe books is necessary to really get a full understanding of the decisions going on here, it's certainly not a prerequisite for membership. Even if you've only read the '77, your comments and contributions can still be very valuable. Expect a bit of a steep learning curve at first. But I'm sure you're easily be able to pick up the important threads of discussion and follow them with no problem after a while. Still, I'd advise trying to get some of HoMe if at all possible. Of particular importance are X and XI. II was of prime importance to the Fall of Gondolin project, but we are nearing the completion of that now. Unfinished Tales would also be very helpful.

Aegnor - it's always good to have people knowledgeable in (or interested in learning about) the Elvish languages here; we come up against etymological problems fairly frequently. You may have found this site already, but Ardalambion is the best site for learning what there is to learn of Quenya and Sindarin. At the moment, it's probably better and more complete than any single book on the languages.

Anyone who's looked over the important threads and still wants to join (as I think all three of you have) can PM me and I will send you the password to the private forum. And don't be afraid to jump right into the threads here in the public forum.

Quote:
This is correct, but I thought that that matter was settled, and we were going to use a footnote.
I guess this was the general consensus, but of course we'll still need to finalize everything.

Quote:
I think that we should try to end part 3 first.
Agreed.

Quote:
I think that we should try to end part 3 first. Are you sure that parts 1 and 2 are done.
I'm fairly sure that no one had any other comments there, so we moved on. But we could always reopen them.

Quote:
The Valaquenta I think was almost done too. The thing was that after antoine's comments there were not too many replies.
Right. Well, I guess we'll just have to finalize that too.

I think we should wait perhaps just a bit longer and see whether anyone else is still around. Perhaps we should PM some of the others and let them know that we seem to be entering another active phase.

Edit: I should also add for the newcomers that in addition to the various Fall of Gondolin, Ainulindale, and Valaquenta threads, the old 'Principles' thread is worth looking at. It can be quite an exacting and convoluted discussion at times, but it really gets at the way the project is meant to work.

[ July 09, 2003: Message edited by: Aiwendil ]
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote