Thread: Bye Bye Balrogs
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2001, 09:48 PM   #55
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Seeker of the Straight Path
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Many Many Balrogs

Aiwendil posted:As to the body of the 'Elucidation' as jallanite calls it: I'm inclined to agree with jallanite; while an
interesting suggestion, it simply doesn't have enough support from the texts. Keep in mind what
our goals are here. We're not writing a speculative essay on Middle-earth; we're trying to
establish an authoratative canon. We simply cannot pick up on this interesting but dubious
interpretation and try to assert that it is THE truth.

lindil: agreed

Aiwendil posted:I think we need to step back from the Fall of Gondolin project
a little and think again about the Principles, and what this
little exercise has told us about them.
very much agreed.
Although we are it seems relativly close to having jallanite's draft version and all encouragement should be given to seeing it conclude.

then a look at the principles and a look at just what we want our translations from the elvish to look like.
i.e. are we trying to produce a version that has a maximum [if small] chance of passing CRRT's muster?
If so [and i think that is a valid consideration] qanything other than the slightest editorializing will have to go.
Perhaps much less than we wish of FoG will be usable.

lindil

</p>
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote