View Single Post
Old 04-21-2003, 01:38 PM   #186
Salocin
Wight

Salocin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Also George MacDonald is very good, even if you don't read (or understand [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) his real stuff. The Princess and the Goblin and The Princess and Curdie are really good childrens fairy tales, though I think any of us could enjoy and benefit from them.

Morwen- Lilith is very strange. The confusion with the christian allegory part of it stems from MacDonalds belief in what is known as Universalism or Origin's Herisy. He believed that everyone, from the most inocent new born who dies to the devil himself, will be saved in the end. He did not really believe in hell, instead he believed in a sort of uber-purgatory. When you die you will be subjected to "torments" and other things to slowly make you realize your sinfulness, repent, and be good. You sort of don't have a choice, though, since no matter what you will eventually have to repent. Heaven starts once everyone has repented and been purified through purgatory(including Satan) and the World is all hunky-dory. This view is unorthodox to say the least and most christians (including myself) consider it heresy (thus the title Origin's Heresy; Origin was the guy who came up with it).

C.S. Lewis, as has been said, adored Macdonald. In Lewis's book The Great Divorce (great book, highly recomended, and worderfully vivid, concise and short(this review brought to you by the department of redundency department [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]); it could be considered Fantasy since it is a fantastical view of heaven and hell), he casts Macdonald as His guide through Heaven.

MacDonald also wrote tons of Romances for a living (some how deep religious fantasy doesn't make much money [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] ) I am not recomending Romances by any means, I think they are a horrible vice people should avoid and that they can very easily and quite often do ruin marrages by making the reader starry-eyed and giving the reader unrealistic expactations about being swept off their feet; I am just saying if you are already enthralled to them, Goerge MacDonald's romaces are probably better than most. Just a friendly word of advice [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] .