View Single Post
Old 09-12-2006, 09:27 AM   #176
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
"My friends and I were here to rescue the two children from the pit. We come from lands far west to help lead the slaves of Nurn to freedom."

The hairs on the back of Shae's neck tingled at these words. She had long ago let Khamir convince her that help would never come. Yet....could it be? Before the woman could respond, the man spoke up again.

“My friends….my friends are west of the camp by the stream bed. I…must….go now. I must help them. For they will need all the stout arms they can get to strike against the foul jailers. Go back to safety. Please....take your horse. Flee. I will make my own way to my friends.”

He had barely stood up when Shae pulled him back down.
"Wait...I can't just let you go. You are in no condition to fight."
The man glared back at her furiously. He opened his mouth, ready to argue, yet realizing he didn't have the energy to even bother, he closed his mouth and started to stand up a second time.

Shae watched the man attempt to find his feet, ready to again protest his foolish actions.

What am I doing?

This thought came abruptly, causing her to hesitate. She had left the camp in rebellion, furious at Khamir. How dare he attempt to order her around when she had spent her entire life struggling to be free of commands? Yet, here she was ordering this man- a total stranger- against his will.

The man had barely made it to his feet, clutching his side, yet his face was filled with determination to return to his friends. Before he could take his first step, Shae stood up and grabbed his arm.

"Wait..." Shae waited for the man to turn around before continuing. "I could be back at my camp, sitting safely with the other ex-slaves and waiting; but instead I am here. I left with the purpose to rescue the two children, and though your company may have beat me to it, it would be foolish to return empty-handed. I won't stop you, if you ride with me to your friends. Deal?"
The man hesitated, then slowly nodded.
"Good. Then let's go."

Shae helped the injured man mount the horse, then took her place in front of him.
"What's your name?" the man asked.
"Shae," she replied. "...And yours?"
"I'm Dorran....of Rohan."
"Rohan?" Her mind instantly when back to her childhood, remembering stories of the Rohirrim. "I have never met anyone from Rohan before."
Between his grimaces, Dorran gave her a smile.
Shae took hold of the reins. "So," she said, staring into the darkness. "In what direction are your friends?"

Last edited by Brinniel; 09-13-2006 at 08:14 PM.