View Single Post
Old 03-20-2002, 03:27 PM   #12
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Sting

Quote:
The forger died with the annihilation of his creation, and even on Frodo, who had the Ring for a considerably shorter time than Gollum, the destruction had its effect. A part of his former self seems to be missing, he has changed also in a melancholic, desperate way; that sadness could only be cured, if not only eased, in the Realm of Bliss.
Frodo got sick every year on his anniversary of his poisoining by Shelob and his stabbing by the Nazgul lord. At the end, he keeps saying "I am wounded...wounded, it will never really heal." (page 1002). Why did the Nazgul affect him forever? When the Nazgul were destroyed...why did their evil effects remain? Why couln't he ever completely recover unless he went to the Blessed Realm? He also says, when he was sick, "It is gone for ever. And now all is dark and empty." (page 1001). He is undoubtedly referring to the Ring here. But Why did a part of his former self die with the Ring?He, unlike Gollum, never exactly used the Ring to do evil. He also only had it for such a short time. I mean, Bilbo did not become desperate and melancholy at the destruction of the ring. (although he became really umm sleepy...did the Ring have anything to do with this??) Anyway...why is it that Frodo can only be cured in the Realm of Bliss? How come he cannot eventuallybe Whole again?

I don't think that Gollum would have survived the Ring's destruction. It had devoured his mind for far too long. His soul was pretty much binded to it and it was the only think that had kept him alive for so long. He would have died with the ring, because he'd have nothing to live for any longer.

Also, WHY exactly did Frodo get sick on every anniversary of his Nazgul wound and Shelob poisoning?

I just finihsed LOTR two days ago, finally. It was incredibly sad at the end...i almost cried!!! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] It was espeicaly sad when Frodo tells sam that he had to give up his former life in order to save middle earth. *sniff* Oh yea, which brings me to another question- he says, "But i have been too deeply hurt, sam." (page 1006). Too deeply hurt by his adventure? The Nazgul blade? The ring's destruction? WHAT, exactly does he mean? Anyway, that was probably the saddest part of the whole book...

sorry for getting a little off topic, but if you can help me answer those questions, i'd greatly appreciate it!

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote