View Single Post
Old 09-04-2002, 02:15 AM   #21
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Quote:
But some pieces of it work. How about this? A man" is in Gondor, recruiting the hobbits, there on another errand, for this voyage to Valinor. My draft bakstop stays basically intact. Mith and Pio become aware of what sounds to them like an evil plot. Either they pursue the Star in Mith's ship or Pio goes along on the Star and Mith follows. When the Star is caught the "Man" disappears (perhaps he is Ancalimon in disguise as we later discover--though this may be a paradox--I hate time travel stories) When the Star is searched, the device is found. Its purpose is discovered through experimentation, or Tuor and Idril explain it (this gives them a real reason to return to Middle-earth. We find Kali, etc. But where does Angara come in? We'll have to work through all these issues.

If we use Mithadan's backstory for the intro, then this would seem to be a more natural link-up to it.

I do have several comments about it:

Child has always had a fascination with, yearning for, the West, it would only seem natural that she and Rose would be taken in by the promise of sailing to Valinor.

It seems as if Pio and Mith have managed to become acquainted with each other. We would need to say something about how that occurred.(since the last we heard, she had politely refused his invitation to dine at the captain's table and then left for Gondor, and he had gone on with his busy life)

The 'man' who disappears does not necessarily have to be Ancalimon - he can simply be one recruited by Ancalimon, or even sent by Nienna, to effect the delivery of the elven ship and the time crystal to those who will become the companions. Tuor and Idril can then show up to explain the use of the crystal to us and be sufficiently elvishly vague about the identity of who sent the 'man'(eg. 'The One Who Lives West of West') Somewhere after this sketchy info is given, we can recruit Veritas - whom Pio knows to be a wiz at figuring out the intricacies of all sorts of devices.

Can Angara simply come with the ship? Or can Tuor and Idril bring her to us as a needed companion? They would be intimately acquainted with evil Wyrms. Perhaps she is to be the one sent to 'redeem' the history of the dragon folk.

Bird is an old travelling comrade of Pio's. they've been through rough situations together, and have an easy sort of camaraderie. Let's have them be travelling together and staying at some dive in Gondor, as they are low on funds and 'between' jobs so to speak. Perhaps Mithadan can have a chance meeting with Pio and the strange story of the 'trip to Valinor' ship can be told by him. A plan is hatched (this would be just the type of odd and possibly unsavory adventure that Bird and Pio excel at) and the three of them would go to 'save' the hobbits and Bird and Pio to make what monies they can from it.

Then on to Kali, and back to pick up Khelek when we time shift to 4th Age Gondor.

Think this is workable?

[ September 04, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]