View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 09:56 AM   #497
Mansun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex View Post

But I still say there is some doubt in Gandalf's mind when he approaches the gate. The tension that Tolkien cranks up to this point is palpable every time I read the book.

PS - Gandalf couldn't beat him anyway as Glorfindel said
Tension is crucial in a book & film to ensure the audience engages with it; how boring it would be if the Witch King rides over to Gandalf, who in reply says "You fool, I am a Maia sent by Eru. You are no match for me. Go back to the shadow". In this case Gandalf would show no tension, just supreme confidence that he would defeat the Witch King easily, which the audience would pick up & realise it would be an easy win for Gandalf.

The tension Gandalf experienced was much increased by the coming of a 100,000 strong host of Mordor to the gates of Minas Tirith. Had the Witch King come alone, I do not think Gandalf would have been as tense. Anyway, as I keep pointing out, Gandalf was petrified when he saw the Balrog in Moria. If he thought he was going to end up in a titanic battle with the Witch King, why then was he not as afraid?

Gandalf could best the Witch King to live up to Glorfindel's comments - he is not an ordinary living man by nature.

Last edited by Mansun; 09-21-2007 at 10:09 AM.