Thread: Ori's writing
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ok so you DO use Tengwar to write Westron. Thanks, that clears a lot up.

It sounds like the book of Mazabul was probably written in both' That Gandalf specifies Ori's bit is in Tengwar indicates there are bits that are not.

In fact, now that I think of it I rather suspect Ori's was one of the few bits that was and was like that because he was writing in a hurry. The older parts of the book, from when the Dwarves ruled probably ARE in Kuzdul, as would befit a history of Moria. As a book designed to be a chronicle of the kingdoms history, the scribes would probably REQUIRE it be written in the Ancient Runes of their people (much as some official scientific papers (like the one describing a new species) are still written in Latin (or Greek, or Hebrew). On the other hand, Ori's notes would be more along the lines of a quick scribble. In which case, he probably WOULD use Tengwar since it is curvier, and therefore probably a bit faster to write in (much as many people can write in cursive faster than they can print) It would be a bit like the situation in Dynastic Egypt. Hieroglyphics were really more for monuments and official documents. For day to day messages, a scribe would be using Heiratic (or later Demotic) Egyptian which is much simpler.
And I can sympathize, Galdriel55 . I still remember my sister breaking down in tears when, as part of learning French in high school, she decided to bring in the copy of Babar our Grandfather brought back from Paris where he was over there in WWII to read to the class....and finding she couldn't because Jean de Brunhoff wrote all the text in Babar in his own cursive (actually I think the books STILL is printed that way; I never checked) Or when I tried to read a 1920s or so book in German, from the time when it was still common to print them in Gothic/Blackletter script ( I can't read German anyway, but with a modern one I probably could have looked up enough words to make it out)
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote