Thread: Bye Bye Balrogs
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2001, 02:02 PM   #30
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Moderator
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Bye Bye Balrogs

Bob: Neither I nor, I'm sure, jallanite, intended any rudeness. Alas, it is the nature of internet forums, I think, to create the impression of hostility when none is present. Understand, please, that by asking you for sources I meant in no way to scorn or reject your comments; on the contrary, I was interested enough by your ideas to wonder whence they came.

&lt;&lt;It's not my job to hand out answers to a group of people who profess to research everything.&gt;&gt;

This is, perhaps, an example of the tendency I mentioned above toward the perception of hostility; I'm not sure whether it was intended, but I at least detect a note of antagonism in the above sentence. I have not, as far as I can recall, ever professed anything on this forum.

&lt;&lt;If the consensus is that the at most 7 quote stands no matter what, then it doesn't matter what I would say since it would be refuted as 'clearly and without a doubt' the quote means this... *insert perception by whomever*.&gt;&gt;

No one has said that the '7 quote' stands no matter what. However, as one of the principles behind this project is to use the latest ideas of Tolkien that can be incorporated into the legendarium, it is looking as if that quote will have to be followed. If you can provide some evidence for another possibility, please do so; we'd all be sincerely interested to see it.

</p>
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote