View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 11:07 AM   #2
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Unfortunately, the only answer that can be given is, "We don't know." Aragorn's conquests was a topic that Tolkien only touched upon in the vaguest of terms.

That being said, I find it implausible that Aragorn or his successors could have subdued the whole of Middle earth. The Reunited Kingdom was already a vast territory of nearly ungovernable scope, and initially, very thinly populated to boot. I don't think that any additional conquests could have been large or sustainable.

As for how it fell, Tolkien did write some pages of The New Shadow where in the time of Aragorn's successor Gondor was already starting to unravel. I don't know that we should suppose that the Reunited Kingdom's dominion was of any great duration.