View Single Post
Old 09-12-2023, 04:26 AM   #124
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
At long last I have made up my mind where to put Mîms Klage:
Quote:
… For a little while they held off the Orcs climbing up the rock, but they had no shelter on the bare summit, and many were shot from below. Most valiant of these was Andróg, who fell NA-SL-02c mortally wounded by an arrow at the head of the outside stair.
Then Túrin and Beleg with the ten men left to them drew back to the center of the summit, where was a standing stone, and making a ring about it they defended themselves until all were slain save Beleg and Túrin, for over them the orcs cast nets. Túrin was bound and carried off; Beleg who was wounded was bound likewise, but he was laid on the ground with wrists and ankles tied to iron pins driven in to the rock. NA-EX-40.5{
}Now the Orcs, finding the issue of the secret stair, left the summit and entered Bar-en-Danwedh, which they defiled and ravaged.<Mîms Klage
Mîms Lament
>{They}The Orcs did not find Mîm, lurking in his caves, and when they had departed from Amon Rûdh Mîm appeared.NA-EX-40.6<Mîms Klage
Under a hill, in a wayless land,
lay a deep hole, …

Long paths he had wandered, homeless and cold,
The Petty-dwarf Mîm, NA-EX-40.7{two hundered}[hundereds of] years old.
All that he had made, the work of his hand,

Mîm spat in the sand and thus he spoke:

Tink-tink-tink, tink-tonk, tonk-tonk, tink!

All the things, that my eyes had seen, … since without them there is little left of him.
So I thought about a right way to store them, … which time had worn and the winds have devastated.
Clap-clip-clatter! … my hoard of memories and bygone years.
Did I sleep long? … spitting on the edge until it shone under the cruel stars in the dark and dreary places.
Thus they took from Mîm all his memories and all the joyful leaps and bounds of his mind, … that drives Men to madness, though they know nothing about it.
But now I am old and embittered, … But Mîm cannot forgive. The embers still smoulder in his heart. Tink-tonk, tonk-tink! No time to think!
>He climbed on the summit, and going to where Beleg lay prostrate and unmoving he gloated over him while he sharpend a knife.
But Mîm and Beleg were not the only living beings on that stony height. Andróg, though himself wounded NA-SL-02.1 to the death, crawled among the dead bodies towards them, and seizing a sword he thrust it at the Dwarf. Shrieking in fear Mîm ran to the brink of the cliff and disappeared: he fled down a steep and difficult goat’s path that was known to him. NA-EX-41b <QS77 And Beleg cried after him: ‘The vengeance of the house of Hador will find you yet!’> But Andróg putting forth his last strength cut through the wristbands and fetters that bound Beleg, and so released him; but NA-SL-02.2b{ dying} he said: ‘My hurts are too deep even for your healing.’
The death of Beleg
NA-EX-40.5: Here I removed a paragraph break because inserted the sub-title only one sentence later. We could go without the sub-title and may be even part of the intro, but I would rather keep both. If we use the sub-title, I found this to be the proper place to understand fully where he is coming from.
NA-EX-40.6: As said above we might skip some of the intro, but other wise I see not much to be changed in the text.
NA-EX-40.7: With the uncertainty we have about Mîm history before he meet Túrin, I find it saver to remove the 200 years.
I generally added speech marks to the beginning of Mîms lament and to each following paragraph. This more a question of general editing than of content, but still worth mentioning.
Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote