View Single Post
Old 02-24-2018, 07:27 PM   #175
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
An amzing thing findegil n co.

Re round world

The trouble was 2 fold if I recall.

1 - Tolkien never finalized the chronology.
2- the vast bulk of the mythology is otherwise cohesive and it was part if it forever. I honestly no longer recall whether JRRT flipped back or not and my Tolkien library is not in Hawaii with me.

But of course. .if the group energy is going that way....

But having been a FE project for so long...17 years...(deep bow) it would be a bit of shame to not see it set sail properly.

Even if Rôg is on board. Lol.

I would urge a finalization with flat middle earth for pre atalantë and then when complete ...(a literary smooth reading version was envisioned).

My personal dilemma is that I think the optimum solution for a Translations from the Elvish style super Silm is along lines of annotated Hobbit.

Core 99 silm ...huge folio book...with older lost tales variants below...later variants above. And old era of annals on the sides and final era later.

If I get a windfall or grab a couple volumes of used HBs at a time I could cut n paste it to a folio.

Let all the major variants share a huge spread of a dual page.

I could see setting up a new team for that as a side forum ...and after some mock ups we send them to Annotted CJRT insider ...complete with tales of the BD exploits as the groundwork...and see if Anderson likes it enough to go pitch it to CJRT.

But as for all the layout here...its amazing.
An exploratory group ...looking into a somewhat integrated style or at least good transitions esp between hyper condensed or note fragments to full blown revised sort of lurches.

And whether to go for a stylistic revision/reader version at all...of course.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote