View Single Post
Old 02-26-2003, 04:41 PM   #70
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Pippin was sat outside the bedroom with Faramir on his lap, waiting for Diamond to emerge. He and Faramir were both ready to go but, as always, Diamond was taking her time. Pippin was becoming restless, he couldn't wait to see everyone again, especially Frodo. The door opened and Diamond stepped out wearing her best dark-green dress, Pippin was momentarily struck by her beauty. "You look wonderful!" he said standing up and ptting Faramir on the floor. He took her by the hand towards the door, took her coat off the hanger and handed it to her. Diamond smiled at her husband, it was clear he was eager to go and there was no point in making him wait any longer.

The ride there was shorter than it usually would've been, which Faramir certainly had no objection to, he loved to go fast. Diamond, however, was more worried about Faramir's steadyness on the back of his father's pony, even with Pippin holding him tight.

They arrived at the Green Dragon and could hear singing and chattering through the door. Diamond pushed her hair back with her hand, it had gotten a little out of place on the way there. Faramir reached up for his father's hand and clasped it, he hadn't been to the Green Dragon before and wasn't quite sure what was in store for him. Pippin opened the door and the enticing smell of food and drink floated out. He glanced quickly over the hobbits gathered inside and picked out Merry strait away, him standing above everyone else, and he began to make his way there, bringing Faramir and Diamond with him, thinking that if he was going to find Frodo or Bilbo, that would be the best place to start.

"Pippin!" he heard a familiar voice call, looking over to where it had come from, he spotted the caller. "Frodo!" he cried and then, rushing over to him, caught him in yet another hug.

Mark12_30 Post

Pippin's hug was as energetic and powerful as Merry's, and Frodo felt like a rag doll again, albeit a well-loved and appreciated one. He smiled up at his tall friend, catching his breath, and laughed. "Pippin! Hello! Oh, it's good to see you. Hello, Diamond, " he called, waving, and then he looked down by Pippin's side. "And hello, Faramir."

"How d'you know my name?" Faramir asked suspiciously.

"How could I not know your name, Faramir, my good sir?" Frodo evaded. Now, let's see you. My goodness, you're a fine young lad."

Pippin's eyes sparkled, and he smiled proudly at his son, and then gratefully at Frodo. Merry came over and greeted Pippin, and the three stood silent, glad and solemn for a moment. Then they laughed, and all began talking at once, and laughed again. They talked about many things, family, home, Buckland and Tuckborough and The Smials. They drank several rounds of beer, and sang a few songs together.

There came a pause, and Frodo quietly studied first Merry, then Pippin, and softly said, "Marriage agrees with you, Merry. And you, too, Pippin."

There was a slightly awkward moment, and then Pippin said, "I'm happy. Happy as I've ever been."

Frodo nodded, satisfied. Merry also nodded in agreement. There was another pause.

Suddenly Pippin grew serious, and softly said, "What's it like in the West, Frodo?"

Merry and Pippin both waited for the answer, and Frodo thought carefully about what to say. "Well, you remember Lothlorien. And Rivendell."

"Yes."

"Do you remember... in the Hall of Fire, when the singing became like a river? Did you sink under the enchantment of it like I did then?"

Pippin and Merry exchanged glances. "Well, somewhat. A little."

"Do you remember Bombadil's house, when Goldberry sang."

"Yes. Very compelling."

"It's like that, eventually, " Frodo said. "It's as if the music flows through you, there, and takes you with it, and washes you, or sweeps you to a destination. Only it's a destination of your heart and soul."

"What music? Do you mean that they sing all the time?"

"They sing a lot, " Frodo said, "but the music I'm talking about is... a harmony, well... it's that they have unity there."

"Unity?"

"Do you remember when Galadriel read our thoughts, to test us? When the fellowship first arrived in Lorien?"

Pippin shuddered. "Like a knife."

Frodo raised a hand. "But not like that. She was after something, in each of us, testing us. But in Valinor, people just share that way. They talk that way. That's what I mean by harmony."

Merry thought it over, and sipped his beer. "That's a different way to live, " he said, eyeing Frodo. "Did it take some getting used to?"

"About as much as Rivendell's music did, " Frodo laughed, and they knew he meant that he loved it. They studied him. "And yet you came back here, " Merry said.

"For a while, yes, " Frodo replied. "For a visit."

Merry considered what he had heard, and nodded. "It sounds like what you need. So Gandalf and Arwen were right to invite you west."

Frodo nodded.

"So, you're doing better. With the, the memories of the darkness, and... and that sort of thing, " said Pippin.

"Yes."

Pippin hesitated, then, "Can we talk more about this later?" he asked.

Frodo looked up at Pippin, and pressed the thought into Pippin's open mind: Yes, Pippin. We will talk more about this.

Pippin looked surprised, and then pleased. The gentle warmth and friendship that came with the thought was quite different than the memory he had of Galadriel's interrogation. He began to look forward to learning more about Valinor.

[ February 27, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]