View Single Post
Old 02-26-2003, 09:02 PM   #73
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

"Cami Goodchild," Angelica said once more. "It's wonderful to see you again." She opened her mouth to say more but there was a tug at her skirt. She looked down. "Yes, Prisca?" she asked.

"Fosco says there isn't going to be any food," the little girl said worriedly. "Is that true? Because I'm hungry, Mummy."

"Don't listen to what Fosco tells you, Prisca-baby," said Angelica. She turned to Cami. "Cami, this is my daughter Prisca."

"Pleased to meet you," said Cami, smiling at the girl.

"Hello," said Prisca shyly. "You are the one called Cami Goodchild? Mummy has told me about you." Then she hurried off to find her twin again.

Cami looked at Angelica, and the mother blushed. "I haven't said anything gossipy about you, Cami," she said. "I only told her the best things about you. Come, sit down here for a moment." They sat down together.

"So how long have you been married?" Cami asked.

"Fifteen years now," said Angelica. "My husband is here, too, but I don't know where he went..." She looked around, then sighed and shook her head. "Probably getting a pint," she said with a grin.

"You look lovely," said Cami.

"Don't say that!" said Angelica. "I've been trying to break myself of my old vanity. I'm afraid Prisca is taking after her mother."

"She's a sweet thing."

"Yes, I know. I can't say the same for Fosco, her twin. He's hardly ever sweet; he's almost always a nightmare." And Angelica went on to tell Cami of Fosco's mischief, and the rest of her life as a mother (and Muddyfoot).

Child's post

This time it was Fosco, who came skipping up to his mother. Cami knelt down beside the lad and held out her arms. The child backed shyly away, then came closer, staring out from behind his mother's skirts. Cami looked up and laughed, "He's beautiful and sweet, even if he is an imp. His eyes shine with love for you. I don't have too much experience with little girls, but I know boys."

Cami took a deep breath wondering if she should reveal more. But she couldn't keep hiding everything. It was too much of a burden. Perhaps, everyone in the Shire would disapprove, or not believe her. But the other way was even worse. No one would understand who she was or what she'd become. They would only remember the empty shell of a child who had long since grown and changed.

Cami lifted up her head, and turned to face her old friend, "I have six children."

Angelica's eyes widened with surprise as she considered the meaning behind these simple words. "B-but, I thought you weren't...."

"Weren't married?" Cami casually finished the sentence for her. "No, I'm not married. My children were adopted. My girl Rose is a kinswoman, like Bilbo's adoption of Frodo."

"And the others?"

"I have five boys, none related to me by blood. Cami stopped a minute and wondered how to explain. "They had been through very bad times, and there was no family left. It was the right thing to do, and they make me laugh sometimes. A passel of boys will do that."

Angelica sat back for a moment, and wondered what it would be like to have a whole houseful of Fosco's. She smiled wryly at the thought.

"Oh, no," Cami said with a grin, picking up on her friend's startled expression, "They're not all little. The oldest is eighteen and the youngest just five." Her thoughts strayed back to little Maura.

"Cami, how do you take care of them all? Six mouths is a lot to feed,"

"Yes, it is! And they always seem to be hungry. I teach other people's children, and sometimes tend to the sick."

"Other hobbits pay you to do that?" Angelica queried.

"Actually not. Our community doesn't use much money. We exchange food and help each other do things." Cami shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly.

"You support all those children by teaching and healing?"

"Sometimes it is difficult so we all pitch in together. We fish and hunt and trap and dig out shellfish from the river. Gamba has become an excellent shot with the bow. Even Rose and I help."

Angelica's eyes were becoming even wider as Cami routinely described these strange activities. "Where is this place exactly? It sounds similar to something I read in a book Bilbo gave me about the early life of the Tooks."

Cami tried to hide a smile. "Actually, Angelica, this place is very distant from here. I'm sure you've never been there. So giving it a name wouldn't really help you. But if you think of it like Bilbo's textbook, you've probably got the basic idea very well.

Angelica hesitated before she asked her next questions, "Cami, are there hobbits in this place? Are you happy?"

Cami reassured her. "We have close to a thousand hobbits now and more on the way." She hesitated and thought a minute before she answered her friend's other questions. Was she happy? "Yes, I do like it very much. It is simple and rugged, but more beautiful than you can imagine. As to whether I am happy, I would say yes. There is great happiness and joy in my life, along with some sadness. But I suspect it is like that for most of us here in Arda."

The two hobbits continued chatting for a moment in a lighter vein, with much of their conversation centering on the strange ways of children. They promised to meet again later. Just as Cami was about to walk away, she caught a glimpse of Piosenniel standing a little ways off to her left.

Pio's Post

Pio gasped, and an almost physical pain went through her. Tears started in her eyes, and Prim, standing near her asked if she was alright. Was it the babies? Should she bring someone to see to her? Pio waved her off, saying there was no problem with the twins; they were fine and so was she. All of which was true, to a point.

She was not fine. The deep sadness of her friend overwhelmed her. She stepped out for a moment to the porch and leaned heavily against the railing, watching the sun’s last trailing light in the west.

Intercede for me, plead for me, unworthy though I am.

Who could be more worthy than Cami, she wondered. Her tasks were not completed with sword and might and great deeds written of by poets, but with the simple day to day strengths that assured this world that at its foundation was goodness that went forward with a pure, bright light.

Surely even the far off Valar understood the sacrifices already made.

But perhaps not. She did not share the same trust in their care that others did. Still, for the sake of her friend, she bent her stiff neck, and bowed to the west, her right hand at her heart. Bright Eärendil hung like a jewel, low in the western sky.

Let it be so for her. And if it cannot, then allow me the grace to bring her some measure of comfort as I may.

There was nothing she could do now. No way to undo time, as once there had been.

The party flowed on in all its vibrancy as she reentered the Inn. There, before her, standing a little way off was Cami just stepping away from her meeting with her friend. Pio stepped forward and took her by the hand, and for a moment, the noisy crowd parted and they found a sort of refuge in the dark at the top of the stairs. Sitting there on the steps, their arms about each other, they watched the party swirl on below them, a colorful dream of sights and sounds.

Pio turned toward her friend and rested her forehead against hers.

Cami, I heard you call out to the Lady of the Stars. Your pain nearly broke my heart. That I can do nothing to lift it from you.

It stirred memories of some things Ancalimon said to me, long ago now it seems, on the Lonely Star. When bleak despair had me firmly in its grip, and I had no hope or expectation that good would follow from my actions.

He asked me to move from this idea of hope, ‘amdir’, to the deeper foundation of ‘estel’, trust. That in Eru’s design of the Music, that which issues forth must be for his creation’s joy. Untouched by darkness or grief. Hope promised, already fulfilled, and never as some might say, ‘mere flight in a dream from waking’.

She spoke softly now. ‘I have wedded my hope and trust to yours, little Andreth. That time and being will unweave their courses, for a space of time, as you asked. And your own dear Maura reach out his hand for yours and you grasp it.’

They sat in silence for a short while longer. Then the door of the Inn burst open, and the Gamgee family arrived. ‘Another guest has come, Cami.’ The two looked down into the Common Room as Sam and Rose and their seven children made their exuberant entrance. Pio laughed, and grasping Cami by the hand pulled her to her feet. ‘Bad form not to greet the Mayor.’ She brushed the creases from her own dress and tucking one of Cami’s stray curls behind her ear, down the staircase they went.

[ March 01, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]