View Single Post
Old 06-12-2001, 10:08 PM   #13
the Lorien wanderer
Shade of Carn Dûm

the Lorien wanderer has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Shade of Carn Dûm
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Book of the Century?

I agree with Z. There are few people who can remember the literary works through the century. Also to pick ONE book out of the thousands of great works is very silly.
But I would have to say that Lord of the Rings and The silmarillion are among the greatest books of the century.
Lord of the Rings isn't really a religious work though one could say many events and characters are religious when analyzed. The Silmarillion however, IS a religious book.
<blockquote>Quote:<hr> &quot;Indeed, a good portion of The Silmarillion is obviously setting forth the basis for the &quot;religion&quot; of the higher cultures of Middle-earth. That is to say, the &quot;history&quot; (or mythology if you prefer) of the interaction of the lesser races with the Valar and of the Creation.&quot; <hr></blockquote>
Exactly my point.

It's the age of victimisation and psychology. &quot;That guy shot his classmates because he was disturbed by his parents' divorce.&quot; &quot;There is no absolute good.&quot; &quot;Criminals are people too. They need to be understood not punished.&quot;
The end result is that all bad people are a product of our society, our time, our age. Unfortunately the concept of taking responsibilty for your own actions seems to have died out. Just blame everyone else. How then, can people comprehend absolute evil, forget about absolute morality?

Humour is emotional chaos remembered in moments of tranquility.</p>
the Lorien wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote