View Single Post
Old 05-17-2005, 05:15 PM   #69
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
another speculation. Feel free to fan-fic

Quote:
I want to stick up for Heren Istarion's story. It's such lovely fanfiction
Thanks

Thing being, I acknowledge (and did acknowledge in my previous) high probability of the dates being merely mixed up, after all. It just would not do to contradict myself in matters of chastity of the royal houses of Westernesse too. That's why I said I dreamt romance behind the dates, not stated it.

Probability of Arvedui serving in Gondor in disguise, however, is not that negligible. After all, Aragorn, who was a single governing body of a hundred or so Rangers, spent years there. Presumably, he would have been more needed North than Arvedui, who was free unless his father died, and even than would have had a whole officialdom at his disposal to rule when he was away, say, swimming across Anduin and stuff.

Besides, Aragorn (Thorongil) probably (apart from his Sauron-defying activities, Denethor was not that blind, after all) was 'studying the field' - i.e. preparing himself for probable take over of the throne. Arvedui may have been in Gondor with the same issue in mind. Don't take it that long, I do not imply he was planning coup d'etat, but the Northern line always considered itself superior, Anarion's blooldline added or not. Cf:

Quote:
Appendices to LoTR

'On the death of Ondoher and his sons, Arvedui of the North-kingdom claimed the crown of Gondor, as the direct descendant of Isildur, and as the husband of Fíriel, only surviving child of Ondoher. The claim was rejected. In this Pelendur, the Steward of King Ondoher, played the chief part.
'The Council of Gondor answered: "The crown and royalty of Gondor belongs solely to the heirs of Meneldil, son of Anárion, to whom Isildur relinquished this realm. In Gondor this heritage is reckoned through the sons only; and we have not heard that the law is otherwise in Arnor."
'To this Arvedui replied: "Elendil had two sons, of whom Isildur was the elder and the heir of his father. We have heard that the name of Elendil stands to this day at the head of the line of the Kings of Gondor, since he was accounted the high king of all the lands of the Dúnedain. While Elendil still lived, the conjoint rule in the South was committed to his sons; but when Elendil fell, Isildur departed to take up the high kingship of his father, and committed the rule in the South in like manner to the son of his brother. He did not relinquish his royalty in Gondor, nor intend that the realm of Elendil should be divided for ever.
And then anti-Arvedui party of Gondor goes and hastily digs up Eärnil, 'victorious captain', more a figurehead to my taste. Feels like frantic endeavour, desperation to have anybody but not the northerners in power, this time successfull. Seems like political fan-fiction (not without romantic elements) would be more in order, as to how Arvedui reconnoitred the political wheather in the South. (And fell in love with King's daughter. Maybe not even without political considerations)

The post being mostly speculative, but nevertheless plausible, I reckon.

P.S. I have a feeling we have lost something along the way. Lemme see... um... mmm... Ah! Arwen! It was about love, and we are already knee-deep in politics. The way of life I reckon. You start out full of love, long curls and bright t-shirts, and end up an organization man with no hair at all and an austere tie. Poot.

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote