View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #13
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellurdur View Post
I am still undecided at version of events to go with. For me there is a problem either way. The original version does not fit with the character Galadriel wanted to be, and the newer version fails to fit in with the published history or things around it.
I much prefer the rebel Galadriel. Possibly Tolkien desired to make Galadriel 'unstained' so that she could be better compared to the Virgin Mary (I have seen this argument anyway), but anyway I don't think an unstained Galadriel is a better character, and I see nothing necessarily 'less Christian' (if someone were to point out the arguable importance of Tolkien's faith with respect to the Galadriel matter) about a penitent Galadriel as compared to an unstained one.

Her great test is the One, why not begin with the proud 'young' Galadriel as one of the leaders of the Rebellion? Banned from Aman at the end of the First Age and proudly replying that she had no wish to do so.

To my mind the history of the early 1950s works fine with respect to the Rebellion (and even the Kinslaying, although granted this much could be altered). This version appears in the 1977 Silmarillion (with no mention of any role at Swanhaven), and it agrees well with JRRT's already published accounts.

There is both earlier and later text (compared to the early 1950s) that supports Galadriel and her brothers having no part at Swanhaven, although the earlier text only has Galadriel's 'ultimate brothers' of course, as it pre-dates The Lord of the Rings.

Again, if I recall correctly RGEO didn't reveal anything about Swanhaven, so I would have no great problem with adding Nerwen's defense of the Teleri here (noted in late texts for example)... but not with Celeborn however, as he was back in Beleriand...

... being Sindarin

Last edited by Galin; 01-28-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote