View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 03:57 PM   #25
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
Celebrimbor as the maker of the Three is published in The Lord of the Rings, so I accept that.

But as for CG&C, the story goes that Galadriel actually scorned Annatar, and that Annatar perceived that she would be his chief adversary and obstacle, bearing her scorn with outward patience. And so Sauron works with Celebrimbor and the Mirdain: '... but he worked in secret, unknown to Galadriel and Celeborn.'
I don't think there is any doubt Galadriel did not trust or like Annatar, but it seems she was partially willing to make a deal with the devil or was tempted by what he had to offer. Perhaps thinking the Elves could gain from his knowledge without giving anything back in return.

He may have been working in secret, but even in this version he is allowed entry into Eregion. If he is being scorned by Galadriel it means he has been admitted into the land. In Lindon in virtually every account he was forbidden from entering.
Quote:
I mean, I agree, according to The Elessar Galadriel not only desired the preservation power of the Rings, but used Nenya once Sauron fell, as did Elrond. Yet Tolkien has her being Annatar's chief obstacle in CG&C, so much so that he must work in secret with the Mirdain... perhaps this was the 'answer' to the question? that perhaps Galadriel did not allow Sauron 'in Eregion' at all?
I think all the elves fell a bit when it came to using the rings, except Gandalf, who did not use his ring to stop the flow of time.

As I have pointed out before if she was treating him with scorn, then it means she must have known he was in land.

I feel that Galadriel's dealings with Sauron may have had some similarities with the way Feanor dealt with Morgoth. Both distrusted and hated the Dark Lord, but bought into their lies. Galadriel definitely agreed with Sauron's offer to create a Valinor in Middle Earth.
Quote:
But I think Tolkien thought better of the whole thing. He makes Celebrimbor a Feanorean and makes him Lord of Eregion, and now whatever Galadriel's reaction to Sauron in Eregion, Sauron is allowed into the fold, and the deception continues until the Mirdain become aware of his true purpose (after the One is forged and so on).
If Galadriel was not going to stay in Lindon and accept the direct Overlordship of Gil-galad would she be willing to do the same in Eregion? She often spoke of her desire to rule her own land. It seems odd that she would go the entire Second Age, without trying to rule at least one place. Though Gil-galad was by right her king, she was the greater, older and more powerful elf. If she would not stay under Gil-galad would she stay under the illegitimate rule of a Feanorian?
[QUOTE
Thus, Galadriel as ruler need not be ousted by the Mirdain, passing to Lothlorien before Sauron comes with war. In CG&C she went to Lorinand due to the revolt of the Jewel Smiths, but I note (Words, Phrases, and Passages)...
[/QUOTE]
The Noldor unlike the Sindar and even the Numenoreans are quick to get rid of leaders they disagree with. Even Finrod is ousted from his throne by Curufin and Celegorm. The Noldor ousting a wise and legitimate ruler is in keeping with their history and more notably the House of Finarfin.

I don't see any other reason why Galadriel would enter Eregion and not set up her own realm to rule.
Quote:
And for the revised The Lord of the Rings, all that is noted is that the Noldor pass to Eregion (mithril and so on), and it is added that Celebrimbor is Lord of Eregion.

It seems a rather notable detail to skip that Galadriel and Celeborn were founders and rulers of Eregion! but if that version raised too many questions and had been abandoned...
Odd, but it still leaves the possibility open. Is there really a reasonable argument for Galadriel not ruling her own realm especially when this is something she had always wished? The Second Age was her chance to do this. I just cannot see Galadriel willingly entering Eregion to be under the Lordship of Celebrimbor.

I propose that Galadriel founded the realm and when Sauron came to Eregion she was immediately suspicious, but intrigued with what he had to offer. She refused to take his advise, but had yet to dismiss him outright. Celebrimbor starts working with him and history repeats itself. The House of Feanor once again try and oust the rightful heir of Finarfin.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote