View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 09:25 AM   #5
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
it's all about the Ring.........

Quick post to start with, as I'm off to see Fish tonight in Norwich (ex Marillion front man - who, yes, were once called Silmarillion but had to drop the Sil for trademark purposes!)

Anyway, it's all about the Ring. I never noticed this until I listened to the director's commentary, and I think Fran Walsh states this. It's amazing to listen to their discussion on how the prologue came about - who to actually narrate it (Gandalf/ frodo/ or galadriel) - how long it should be (new line wanted 2 mins max!) - and the viewpoint itself - I think it works superbly having the Ring as the main viewpoint.

Look at the extra dvds you get with the EE - another version of the Prologue is in there (in storybook form) with frodo narrating the history of middle-earth rather than the Ring. - this would not have had the same impact as the Prologue as it stands.

couple of things -

jackson has never mentioned it, but he stole the shot of the ring bouncing
on the rocks from Ralph Baski's version of the Prologue! There are other places whre jackson has 'borrowed' from baski, and I'll explain these as we come to them

it looks like to me that cate blanchet DID actually narrate a closure to lotr trilogy that anguirel (and myself) wanted - listen to fran walsh's commentary at the start of the next scene (as the commentary usually follows over to the next scene by a few seconds!) - she says cate blanchett would bookend the movies - and there's a clue in the ROTK ee inasmuch as jackson states they did film some scenes of the fellowship after the events of LOTR.

more later!
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote