View Single Post
Old 04-26-2008, 03:57 PM   #213
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The Two Towers

http://www.tolkienradio.com/twotowers.html

This episode I imagine may be a little different in the more recent version since Frodo and Same remain in "The Two Towers" while the others have moved on in to "The Return of the King".

Having found the length of time that the paths diverge the barrier to finishing the book the first time I tried to read it - I was only nine and remembering what had gone on hundred of pages before was an unequal struggle and gave up at the rather gloomy end of The Two Towers - I wouldn't presume to say that you improved on Tolkien but it certainly provides variety and in this case enables parralels to be drawn more easily.

We start with Faramir and Frodo & co in Ithilien. Much of the dialogue is more or less straight from the book, skilfully edited including that wonderful bit where Sam is a far from servile servant and not withstanding that he is effectively the man's prisoner, gives Faramir a piece of his mind.

Faramir is very eloquent, almost poetic, and Andrew Seear's voice suits it well, as he moves from inquisitor, to bereaved brother, to loreman and judge.

Appropriately we then switch to Eowyn and Aragorn as she attempts to dissuade him from taking the paths of the Dead or at least take her along, and her feelings for Aragorn, hinted at in her few words last episode are made much more explicit.

We follow Aragorn and the Grey Company through the haunted mountain then return to Frodo and the capture of Gollum, and another much needed moment of humour to lighten the gathering darkness "Don't want Fish!", before Frodo embarks on his journey toinas Morgul despite Faramir's forboding.

Then we go to Gandalf and Pippin being a most unquenchable hobbit and more little references to things that are not essential to the plot but gladden the hearts of the book devotee (no dumbing down for Radion 4!!! - cannot see gratuitous references to Armenelos being allowed in Holywood.) We meet the last major player - Denethor. Another great performance hear from Peter Vaughan, famous as "Grouty" from Porridge but a great character actor in many other things. Pippin offers the Steward his service.

We then rejoin Eowyn, this time with Theoden and Eomer. She has received the Red Arrow - the formal summons of Gondor for the aid of the Rohirrim.

We briefly rejoin Frodo in a nightmarish landscape as the darkness literally spreads across the land - not only in Morgul Vale but spreading out to be sighted from Rohan "eating up the stars" . Theoden is fatalistic but for Frodo there is a moment of optimism at the crossroads and the statue of the fallen king a crown of trailing flowers like white stars. They cannot conquer for ever..

The Rohirrim depart and Merry is released from his short service but accepts Dernhelm's offer to bear him to battle.

I haven't much time now but one of the things that the juxtaposition of the threads throws in to relief is this question of duty and keeping oaths, obeying orders. Theoden is fulfilling the Oath of Eorl while Aragorn leads an army of Oathbreakers - the price of breaking an oath is clearly a terrible doom. Merry and Eowyn disobey orders and abandon duty but ... well we know how that will end. Faramir speaks twice about lives being forfeit - yet he uses his discretion to allow Frodo on his way. Then there is Frodo and the oaths Gollum swears on the precious, and Frodo tricking Gollum to save his life.

Critics often say that the book is black and white, Good v Evil...but there is a lot of moral ambiguity here (which is I need to go back to on the Age of Anxiety thread!).

The other thing which crops up here again (as with the Ents) is how men have become detached from the other races of middle earth. This is really the last hurrah of the free peoples before they disappear into folklore.

Sorry it is a Mith style ramble rather than a Dave style essay but it is a start.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote