View Single Post
Old 09-20-2007, 09:37 AM   #7
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Quote:
I truly believe that if the 3 Jackson adaptions had merely been moderate successes making little more money back than their cost, we would not be talking about it several years later. But we are.
And that's a good thing. The books are old and they are classics, and many younger people are put off by the idea of reading something like that. The films coming out were a blessing to things Tolkien-based, especially to sites like this, as there was a sudden influx of new members who had either just been introduced to Tolkien or who had just had their old interest renewed.

To say that Purists were jealous is an odd statement to make though. How can you be jealous of the films when you sit with the book in your hands and know you have the better version? The films were not bad, I greatly enjoyed them (aside from a few glaring annoyances), especially FotR which I felt captured more of the magic of the books than the other two films did.

The acceptance of those who had only ever seen the films by those who had been reading the books for however many years shows that there isn't jealousy. Instead it gives the old-timers an opportunity to introduce newbies to the origins of these films they love.