View Single Post
Old 11-09-2014, 01:42 PM   #10
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Well yes I lean toward the opinion that these quotes embody different ideas, but again I've said it's quite possible (if more strained in my opinion) that these quotes agree with each other -- and I know I've said that much more than once now, at the least in other conversations with you elsewhere. And I don't agree I'm over-thinking things, including when I interpret Tolkien's description in reaction to P. Baynes artwork (I really need an easier term for this text) compared to the description in ODAM -- I interpreted these things that way naturally.

Quote:
Well Christopher made a book with "Part 2 - Late Writings" , which included Of Dwarves and Men like we already know and for example the part where Fingolfin is stronger than Feanor is dropped to "...Feanor, great in mind and body beyond the measure of the Eldar", but the simple mention that Fingolfin was strong even in comparison to Feanor in the past, still makes him very strong.
If that's your answer to why you trust Christopher Tolkien over Hammond and Scull here then you've lost me, as you seem to be saying that since Christopher Tolkien published Of Dwarves And Men, but not (all of) Tolkien's reactions to Pauline Bayne's artwork, then the former has more weight than the latter. If so I strongly disagree with that. I think you are jumping to conclusions about some motive or opinion of Christopher Tolkien's with respect to the weighting of texts.

CJRT also didn't publish Tolkien's Osanwe-Kenta for example, or all the notes to The Shibboleth of Feanor, but there is no indication from him that he thinks these texts are 'lesser' in some way and thus have been given to other scholars to publish and comment on.

Quote:
Finally it's always good to argue with you I guess
You guess? Are you sure

Last edited by Galin; 11-09-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote