View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 01:40 PM   #133
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Kénan growled something in reply to Onli's nervous mumble of words before reaching out and snagging Kéni by the collar. "You just mind your own business, young fellow," Kénan said as Onli turned away. "Mind it and you should be just fine." With that, he turned, pushing Kéni in front of him.

The walk back home must have been a miserable affair for Kéni. Kénan did not say anything, but the grip on the back of the boy's neck said enough. When they reached home, and the thick door was shut behind them, Kénan finally let him go. He turned him sharply about to face him.

"Stubborn old fool, am I? Who brings shame on my family? Shame?" His voice was terribly stern. "And what do you call speaking against your Grandfather in a public place? Not shameful?"

"Not when you deserve it," Kéni answered defiantly.

"You know better than to speak disrespectfully to me, Kéni," Kénan said in a low voice.

"Respect has to be earned," Kéni said. "It can be lost even then, and you've lost all the respect you ever earned tonight!"

“You are too young to understand such things. You will understand in time. If you did understand, you would have known that had any other dwarf addressed me in public and called me a fool and a shame to my family because I spoke up in a time of danger to save lives, I would have laid into him like you’ve never seen me. That dwarf wouldn’t walk for a week, if he walked again.” He began to unbuckle his belt. “And I can promise you that you at least will not be sitting for a week.”

When it was over, and Kéni was allowed to turn about and face him again, Kénan said:

“I did not speak with myself or my family and mind, lad. It was for the greater good of the colony. I did not bring shame upon our name, for Trór has heard me and will take the advice I gave him. I did what I thought best to do, and though it was bought with a price, I accomplished my goal.” Kéni’s eyes still flashed with reproach. “I did what had to be done, boy!” Kénan said. “You will understand, in time. Now get off to bed.”

Kéni obeyed, but he had hardly lain there five minutes before his Grandfather’s thundering voice called him out again. He crept around the corner of his door post with a shrinking feeling and hanging head. Finally, he looked up to face the bristling and wrathful Kénan.

“Where is Iari?”

Last edited by Folwren; 02-25-2009 at 10:47 PM.