View Single Post
Old 09-30-2003, 01:13 PM   #74
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Amandur

I stopped about two hundred yards from Bree and dismounted, I wished my passing to go unnoticed, so I removed anything that would mark me as one of the kings men, tunic, bracers, even the brooch that clasped my cloak I replaced with another more common place one, I then took a dried piece of rabbit pelt and wrapped it about the grip of my sword and secured it with leather thong as to disguise its make and Numanorean long swords where not common place and only now wielded by those of the Dunedain. My elvish dagger I slipped into the rear of my belt and my bow I slipped into my bedroll, hanging my quiver securely to Kalloruvi's saddle. The charger to was a give away to my heritage he too would have to remain hidden, but I knew that my loyal friend preferred to be free than cooped up in a stable and he would wait for my return, so I gently patted his flank and he made his way back into the cover of the woods to wait my return.

Not Taking the road I entered Bree using secret ways known only to the rangers, it was dusk and the streets were fairly empty, the lawful traders had all shut up shop long ago and the unlawful ones would soon be about, my first port of call would be the pony, A fountain of information if you knew were and how to ask! I smiled as the familiar welcoming sight of the Prancing Pony came into view, many a time had the inn served as a place for him to rest and recover and a valuable source of information, pulling my hood over my head so as not to be recognised I climbed the steps to the inn and entered the busy smoke filled common room, narrowly avoiding a collision with the short, fat, bold headed innkeeper, I grinned as I watched him Bustle about with trays laden with mugs of ale, as he passed I picked one up and made my way over to the shady corner to the left of the blazing fire, where sat someone I was familiar with, Toby Longholes, a pick pocket and petty thief, at my approach the slender (well as slender as a hobbits can get!) hobbit tried to leave, but with a firm hand on his shoulder I convinced him to stay!

"I haven't done anything!" he exclaimed as I sat beside him, "I never said that you had?" I replied eyeing him suspiciously. "Then what do you want with me!" he snapped irritably, "Where is Ferny?" I asked calmly, taking a draw of my ale, "How should I know, I thought your lot killed 'im!" the dark haired pointed faced hobbit answered pretending that he thought I was asking for old Bill Ferny.

"Do not take me for a fool, you know exactly who I speak of!" I said prodding the hobbit thief with the point of my knife under the table, Toby flinched as he felt the knife at his gut, "You have just missed him I swear! Butterbur kicked 'im out!" I knew that if Butterbur had kicked him out then he would not return to the inn this night and I did not know which of the hundred or so stone houses was his, " hmm but maybe you do" I thought aloud turning back to Toby Longholes, the hobbit gulped. "which is Ferny house?" I asked, "I don't know, no-one does!" he panicked, sweat dripping off his brow. I relaxed my knife and took another draw of my ale, it was evident that what he spoke was true or at least part true! "You will tell me at once if you hear of Barrold trying to acquire anything unusual!" I whispered threateningly, but the hobbits greed got the better of him, "And what is in it for me!" the hobbit retorted. scowling I answered "5 gold and I will not run you in to the sherriffs!", "10 an' we have a deal" Toby chanced putting out his hand, I did not take his hand but reluctantly nodded my head in agreement. "Well, on you go!" I exclaimed as Toby made to finish his ale, the Hobbit quickly rose and scurried out of the inn.

After a few moments I too made to leave, but as I reached the door I was pulled to one side, "Hail! old friend" the voice whispered and I turned to see Dúlrain, he gestured for me to sit. "I know who you seek and I am here to help if I can." I was glad to see him but a sad look in his eyes told me he had more to say, "I rode here to deliver news to Hanasían of his father and now I must inform you that he will not be continuing this hunt with you, but he wishing you all success and sends me in his stead, I hope I will not disappoint!"

"Never my friend!" I said, patting his shoulder, "Though Hanasíans parting is a sad loss, I believe that finding his father is something that he must do and your services will be much needed in the days to come."

"So, you don't think she will come quietly!" Dúlrain asked sarcastically, I laughed at his dry wit "No! I think not." "I see you had words with young master Longholes, does he have news and how much did he charge for it?" Dúlrain continued casually, "ten" I laughed, "You must have given him quite a scare!" he laughed in reply. We laughed some more and shared some ale, before Dúlrain took out his pipe and offering me some of his weed he said "Come friend it is time to share what news we have of our quarry and the young elf maid that Hanasían spoke of," at the reference to Vanwe he laid the belt and pouch Hanasían had given him on the table and lighting our pipes, adding more smoke to the already hazy common room we shared what news we had, it seemed that Dúlrain had travelled some what with Hanasían and the rangers of Ithilien as they pursued Naiore and he knew the crimes she had committed, although like myself he had not been personally affected by this woman he had seen those who had and sought justice on their behalf.

With our tankards emptied and our pipes burnt out we decided that we should call on some of the other less desirable inhabitants of Bree, to see what new we could coax from them, but as a lifted the belt and pouch I became curious as to what the daughter of Naiore carried within. Slowly I opened the pouch and emptied the contents on to the table, there was little within 3 brass coppers, a piece of leather tong, a few scribbled notes and tangled within all was strands of blonde hair.

"Naiore's" a soft elven voice answered for us, I recognised it right away and swung round in my chair, "Léspheria...what....why...but I...." I couldn't think where to began but she answered for me, "A messenger turned me back this morning, things go ill in the mountains and reinforcement have been sent for, I believe also that Lords Elladan and Elohir will send archers when they receive word, if they have not already, but as for me I have been sent to aid you in your pursuit if I can," I was suddenly struck dumb, things must be ill if Lothaniel's only option was to send Léspheria after her mothers killer, he had been adamant at their last meeting that this should never happen, for what reasons I was not entirely sure, but he had been set!

It was Dúlrain who broke the silence that followed, "Amandur! are you not going to introduce me to your mysterious friend?" "oh! of course" I laughed shaken out of my thoughts, "Dúlrain this is the Lady Léspheria of Rivendell, Léspheria this is Dúlrain of the Dunedain" As Léspheria lowered her hood, Dúlrain took her hand and kissed it lightly it is a pleasure to meet you at last Amandur has spoke oft of you and your work in the courts, but never of your immense beauty, She felt Amandurs surprise and knew the latter was not true, grinning politely she nodded her head in thanks and they sat back down examining the contains of Vanwe's pouch and I explained to Léspheria the events since we parted.

"So she believes her father is dead, sad though that is in my heart, I believe that at the moment this is a good thing, I do not think Naiore would have any reservations at striking at the heart of her own people to get to Menecin" Léspheria sighed heavily, already I could see that this task weighed heavy on her mind, but as she looked up I smiled, even though I knew she sensed that I felt different.

"So, who or where is the Revennor of Mordor's latest target?" Dúlrain asked grimly, "All the signs point to Annuminas!" I replied thinking of the troubles in the mountains, but something did not sit well in my mind. "No" Léspheria interrupted "I believe that the orcs are a diversion and Naiore plans to strike at the very people who caused her fall from power!" "The Shire!" myself and Dúlrain gasped at Naiore's audacity.

"And Vanwe?" I asked, "I think Vanwe's preconceived notions of her mother are interfering with the truth of who her mother truly is, but Naiore I believe will not be able to keep up the appearance of the loving mother Vanwe wishes her to be for long, she will let her true self show sooner or later!" Léspheria told us, but as she finished I saw her gaze wander to the door.

"What is it" I asked. "She is here, somewhere in the village, I sensed a dark presence as I passed the Farm houses to the south of here" she answered distractedly. I paused think what to do next, but if Naiore was here Rauthain and Maethor would not be to far behind, "The rangers Rauthain and Maethor will be here shortly, I think we should await their arrival then decide what next to do!" and when both Dúlrain and Léspheria nodded their agreement, I rose and acquired food and refreshment for us and the others who I believed would follow shortly.

[ October 08, 2003: Message edited by: Nerindel ]