View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 12:22 PM   #55
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Excellent thread! Who'd have thunk it that a fungal shortcut would have led down such an intellectual path. Anyway...

What always got me in this and the previous chapter, after multiple readings, was the lack of success that the Nazgul have in (1) finding Frodo and the Ring and (2) finding any information about the same. The Witch-King, who later will ride through the Gate at Minas Tirith, who will face Gandalf and live , fails. These same creatures are put off by the Gaffer and Farmer Maggot. Sure, there's a power in the Shire, and methinks that it's food related (note how unwraith-like the hobbits are in their girth), but really, could Maggot and hounds hold back even the least of the Nine?

That got me to thinking. Why doesn't Sauron have his minions ride roughshod over the Shirefolk, having them do all kinds of nasty things to get information instead of just promising gold and spurring a horse? What's to fear, that an inhabitant of the Shire will rise up and slay the Witch-King?

Something else was going on. Part of the restraint is for the story, as noted, to keep up the suspense. We get to see hints and glimpses of what these Black Riders are or may be. If the Black Rider slew the Gaffer, then there would be no doubt, and the story would change - I like when I am practically begging the characters for information, not when it's all spelled out on the first page ala Brian Herbert of the newer Dune series fame.

But another reason may be assumed: Did Sauron command his servants to be as discrete and, dare I say, circumspect, as possible as not to tip off Saruman? The fallen Wizard sought the Ring as well; this Sauron must have known or at least assumed. Saruman already had dealings in the Shire and so had agents about - or as least as close as the Rangers would permit. Did Sauron, judging all others by his own lust and fear, think that with the Nazgul making a stir that they would provide Saruman with information that would make *his* finding of the Ring more possible?

And, on another note, just how big were Farmer Maggot's dogs? Were they hobbit or human scale?