View Single Post
Old 06-18-2002, 08:00 PM   #24
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

I have seen a lot of topics around here like this, and it has given me the impression that people think that REAL fans of LotR are ones to which the following apply:

1. They have read the books.
2. They understand all the aspects of Tolkien's world.
3. They DON'T like it because of Orlando Bloom/Elijah Wood/Viggo Mortensen but instead like it because of other reasons.
4. They can speak elvish well if they so choose.
5. They were a fan of the series before the movie was even heard of.
6. They don't need to try and get into the books and the actual story, but instead do so automatically.

Before you ask, yes I am sticking up for the people that you are calling "un-true fans." If the movie is what hooked them, so be it. That's how it went with me and I'm sure many others. If people try to speak elvish from the movie and have trouble with the characters' names, then look at it this way: at least they TRY. Instead of rolling your eyes at them, maybe you could help them understand what you imagine to be a good fan of LotR! You guys are starting to flame these people. But it won't do any good to complain amongst yourselves for the rest of your days, now, will it?????!!!!! Imagine what they would think if they saw how you are talking!!

*Realizing what she has just said, Ith shuts her trap and backs off into a shadowy corner with her eyes to the floor*
Sorry. That was stupid. I'm making something of nothing. I'll just vanish now.

[ June 18, 2002: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]

[ July 06, 2002: Message edited by: Ithaeliel ]
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote