View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 03:05 PM   #65
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Touché, you're right. But maybe the dogs first sat down and then went to lay by the fireplace...?
Well, from the phrasing it looks like both the things happened at the same occassion. That's why I said there would have to be more dogs around; and in fact, even that won't help, as it seems all the dogs were lying by the fireplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
Also, it is weird, but those quotes I posted are much more chill-causing in Finnish. When I looked them up from my English LotR they seemed somewhat... lame. Too ordinary words and phrasings, or something like that. At times the Finnish translation of the LotR succeeds in being more impressive than the original (gasp! ), and I think this is one of the few occasions.
In fact, as I noticed, on the other hand the Czech translation seems to make things sound a lot more "ordinary" than the original. "Good breakfast, Pippin, look, someone's calling down there in the woods." - "Hullo, I'm Maggot, we are having a nice autumn don't we; some bagman just visited me asking about Baggins." That describes the feelings pretty well. So, the original seems to lie somewhere in between our opinions - seemingly it's not that creepy, but also not that easeful. Nevertheless, surely one is strongly affected by the way he read it the first time, so the feeling is already deeply rooted inside us.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote