View Single Post
Old 03-16-2004, 08:03 PM   #98
Kryssal
Wight

Kryssal has just left Hobbiton.
It was the first real day of the competition. They wouldn't be getting back until at least this evening, if not a few days down the road. If ever Tane was going to slip away for a moment to himself, this would be it.

The idea had come to him when he and Alearindu spoke before her departure. She had asked him what he was going to do and he realized that he hadn't had time to himself since he had assumed command. The activity of riding Skit to and from posts was one of the most calming to him, and he missed it dearly. The settlement was in no danger and all the rangers had their current assignments. He didn't see why he couldn't take a day off.

Hothem was still in the commanders cabin looking through some papers, and he was exactly who Tane wanted to see.

"What are you grumbling about now Hothem?" for indeed, the other Ranger had just mumbled to himself with a very disagreeable mask on.

He looked up and sighed. "A disagreement in politics I'm afraid. Of no real matter," and he tossed them genially aside while moving for a seat.

Tane let the matter lie. He didn't particularly want to discuss yet another problem.

"I think I'm going to ride out tomorrow," Tane had just sat himself across from Hothem and looked as haggard as his voice sounded.

"Oh, and just for how long?"

"I was thinking about making it an over night venture."

Hothem raised his eyebrows and stared steadily at his commander. "And you want me to assume command in your absence?"

Tane nodded.

"What about no one going out alone?"

"I knew you'd bring that up. I'm going to travel our back lines and meet up with the post out there. I'm staying on the opposite side of trouble, with company too."

Hothem just nodded. One day wasn't all that long. They went about their duties and before Tane realized time had passed, it was dark outside.

Hothem was making to leave for his own tent when Tane called him back.

"I'll be leaving as soon as I wake, so it's yours now, and I forgot to send a replacement to the settlement. With Awyrgan and Alearindu gone there's no one there for reports. Send someone out in the morning."

Hothem laughed and patted Tane on the shoulder. "Sure, sure, leave it for me. I see how your mind works," and with a wink, he was out.

~*~

Dawn had not yet broke, yet Tane was awake and just finishing packing. Habits of a Ranger. Others were up and about, but they didn't give him much heed as he saddled Skit and set off. He went fast at first, getting a refreshing morning air ride. After a little bit he slowed to a small canter and then meandered toward his destination. Tane was in no hurry. Today was going to be very relaxing. No orders, papers, or duties besides brushing down his horse.

After a few side tracks and extended breaks Tane saw the patrol he had been heading for. They saw him as well and waved him forward, not bothering to mount up and greet him. Half an hour later he arrived in their small camp. They were scheduled to stay out there for two more days, then shift positions to next post before reporting back and switching assignments. They were more than happy to share a meal with him and were more than pleased to add on the rabbit that Tane had killed on one of his extended breaks.

The three rangers disregarded rank and joked around the lunch fire. It was a fine day away.

~*~

Hothem slept in and woke up just as the sun was coming out of false dawn. Stretching he tried to get all the cold and cramp out of his system before heading off to his water pitcher.

The morning went slowly and after a few hours he remembered that he had to send someone to babysit. After taking a look at who was in the camp, he decided to send Rherrin who had been at base the longest. Let him stretch his legs.

After a short search he found the man doing some exercises off to one side of his tent. Hothem hailed Rherrin who quickly went over, apparently anxious to get a move on.

"There's a short assignment I'd like you to do. Awyrgan and Alearindu are out of the settlement right now and I need a, now don't give me that look, it'll hold you over till your switching party comes back."

Rherrin looked disdainful. "The settlement? For how long?"

Hothem took a firm stance. "Until Alearindu or Awyrgan comes back, so maybe you can check their temporary camps for them. It should take no more than a day or two."

"But what am I to do in that place?"

Hothem let his eyes bug a little at the obstinant man. "What you do in every town. Go through the trading post, I'm not sure there's a tavern anywhere yet, but you can always check on or stay in one of the camps, maybe you'll even chat with some folk. Now, I want you out of here within a candlemark and in town in two."

Rherrin nodded and moved to get some form of equipment or other.

Hothem shook his head. Since when had the settlement become such a place to be avoided?