View Single Post
Old 10-08-2004, 11:37 PM   #167
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
White Tree

Saurreg and Alaksoron: Whatever you cook up between you, please keep me informed.

Meneltarmacil: I understand about the homework - believe me! I spent 4 hours in the computer lab today, and the assignment still isn't finished. If at all possible, though, please just post on the discussion. If things pile up for a couple days, let us know you can't post. That way the rest of us know to pick up the slack and keep going.
By the way, please tell Dragon Elf to check his PM's. I've just sent him one, but he hasn't seen the one I sent 5 days ago. Please tell him it's important to check those.

Alaksoron: In your last post, Osric has an Elven sword with a Sindarin name, which he translates for Aidwain (who already speaks it). It is so extraordinary for Osric to have this that it must be explained. The Rohirrim had virtually no contact with the Elves at any time, and they have their own separate language. Even the Common Tongue is only a second language for them. Please explain (1) how Osric got this sword and (2) why he knows Sindarin. (By the way, where did you find the translation for "Azar"?)

Also, Osric sounds a bit cocky about his ability as a swordsman. Especially, the way he speaks about Tarondo - an Elf - is almost insulting, and he's talking to another Elf. Elves are very very rarely seen by the Rohirrim, and Osric's casual attitude is very unusual to me. Frankly, he sounds quite disrespectful.
Are you intending Osric to be that sort of character? Because if so, I want to discuss how we're going to work that out in the rest of the story. Tarondo's a nice guy, but he's not going to stand for cockiness in this team.
If you're not meaning for Osric to be like that, would you please reword what he says? He can talk about being a blademaster without being boastful.

rutslegolas: Thanks for your willingness for Aidwain to be wounded. Is it all right if he's the one seriously wounded?

Oh, Alaksoron again: That's fine if you don't want Osric to be wounded - much. It's not a selfishness thing; it's just a preference. No problem.

That got me thinking, though. Everyone, if you need to, go back and re-read the plan for this RPG. We've got a long, tough road ahead of us to Rivendell. There are very few of us, only 9 when we pick up Andas Loudewater, and we're going up against 4 trolls and a whole troop of Orcs. The odds are pretty bad! The skirmish at Weathertop is only the very first step. We'll be fighting our way through for the next 150 miles.

So I'd like everyone to consider at least 1 injury of some kind, and quite possibly more. As Alaksoron talked about, there's a lot of variety in seriousness. What he suggested (slash across the knuckles and arrow in the calf) is from light to moderate. For our purposes, the seriousness of an injury is how incapacitating it is. Keep in mind that even small cuts may become infected and become serious. Be thinking about what your character can sustain.

I was going to fill my save tonight, but I'm too tired to be creative. Now that the business is out of the way, I'm going to recharge. I'll post in the morning. Sorry for the delay, but don't let me stop you!

Carry on!

Nuranar