View Single Post
Old 11-19-2003, 03:03 PM   #42
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Pio,
Here is my post for Edmund. I've used Kali a bit, so if there is anything out of character let me know. And I'm not quite sure if anything Edmund has said or thought has contradicted with things he has thought or said in my absence, though I've read the posts. I'm willing to change anything you think necessary!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Edmund worked hard alongside of Kali, making certain he never looked at the hobbit boy, but keeping careful note of where he was at all times. Every so often he would check on his squirrel to make sure it was doing all right, and felt a thrill run through him every time the large brown eyes met his own. He would smile fondly at it and then tuck it away again with the utmost gentlest.

As much as he tried to ignore Kali, he could not help but think of the hobbit's talent for drawing animals. After seeing a few of the sketches, Edmund began to wish he had a drawing of his squirrel, as well as of the bunnies, as they would soon be gone. Oh, yes, that was cruel. His mother was very cruel. How could anyone even consider destroying the lives of those fluffy white (with adorable black patches) bunnies, with their beautiful and mild eyes? If only he could think of some way to rescue them. "I wouldn't care if everyone in Bree died, as long as they didn't eat those bunnies," Edmund muttered to himself.

Kali's head shot up and turned towards Edmund. "Did you say something?" he asked, his voice quiet. He couldn't be blamed for it. When he had tried to speak to Edmund in the past, he had been rewarded with some sharp reply. He received no better this time.

"Yes, I did, but I wasn't talking to you," Edmund said, turning his head away. He realized that he had been rude and, not knowing if Berilac could hear or not, made up for it by speaking again. "But if you really want to know, I said I'd want all the people in Bree to die, if they didn't eat the bunnies." That would satisfy everyone. It was very polite, and his mother couldn't put him in the kitchen with Cook for being polite.

"Oh." Kali was silent for awhile and concentrated on his work, but his mind as well as his hands was working. "Well, I wish the bunnies wouldn't be killed, either. I didn't really know that..." He hesitated. "I wonder if they could be rescued somehow."

"That's a silly thing to think," Edmund said scornfully, but inside he felt pleased. Maybe he could use Kali to help him rescue the bunnies. If they were caught, the blame would be put on Kali. But a little hobbit would be a lot quieter in rescuing them than a seven-year-old boy would. Kali might be useful... he'd have to see if Will thought anything of it.

Once again he checked on his squirrel, this time taking a few extra moments to stroke the small head. Kali had also stopped working and was watching the two of them. The squirrel put one little paw on Edmund's finger and the boy giggled with delight. Turning with a broad smile to Kali and completely forgetting himself he said, "That's the first time he's ever done anything like that."

Kali smiled back. "He's a great squirrel," he replied. "What's his name?"

"I don't know. I haven't thought of a good name yet. I just like to call him my squirrel. That seems a good name for him now." He sighed wistfully, his finger very still so the squirrel would not withdraw its paw. "Mamma says I'll have to let him go when he's fully better. He was injured, you know, and I rescued him and took care of him. But I don't want to let him go because I'll miss him, and someone might hunt him down..." His voice trailed off and his lower lip trembled a little. "I have nightmares about it." Kali said nothing, but looked up at Edmund with eyes full of sympathy.

Edmund continued. "Mamma says I could find another injured squirrel, but I love this one best. If I found another hurt squirrel I'll take care of it, of course, but I don't want to let this one loose."

"Maybe after we rescue the bunnies we could save your squirrel from being let loose," Kali suggested.

"Who said we're going to rescue the bunnies?"

"Nobody." Kali shrugged. "I just have nightmares about them getting killed."

"I had a nightmare about it. But how could you? I only just told you about it."

"I had a nightmare just now," Kali replied innocently. "I saw the bunnies being killed in my head."

"Oh. Well, if you call those nightmares... Mamma says those are imaginings, but I think they're nightmares, too. I also had nightmares about it." They thought about these 'nightmares' for awhile before Edmund realized who he was talking to. "Well, it was a silly idea," he said, his voice growing harsh again. "We can't rescue them." But he began to think.

[ November 19, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]