View Single Post
Old 02-18-2003, 12:40 AM   #10
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Sting

Popping in as it was promised (Maedhros, thanks for a PM)

Quote:
Delete any mention of the authorship of the Ainulindale. I am very reluctant to do this, but if it must be done, then it must
The thing should be done I surmise, however painful it is to cut the living body of the text. I'm basing this opinion on the statement given by Antoine above:

Flat earth cosmology with sun and moon as leaves of trees is certainly human (that's why I was pushing you to repeat the vote on round/flat earth)

There is no need for the History we (or you rather, with my compliments, since I'm so rare a participant, if any) are compiling here to have an author inside itself, if you follow my meaning. It may be presented as a "compilation of such scraps of knowledge that were retained [among Men] of elder days of our [Middle]Earth"

cf the situation by the end of XV c AD IRL (and Tolkien's writings always rang true to me to the extent I was mixing those two up [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] sometimes) when the common folk was sure the Earth was flat, but Columbus, following scientific knowledge known to few was sailing west to reach India.

I'm going too far seemingly, but in this light the first round earth journey of Numenoreans may be presented as an eye-opener for them only.

But I'm straying off topic. My vote would be:

Even if we do not give footnotes with a round earth as a truth known to elves, the text itself must bear the statement that history/legends gathered in compilation are human. Therefore no place for Rumil and Pengolodh is left. Alas.

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote