View Single Post
Old 10-11-2002, 11:54 AM   #67
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

davem, but all you asked for was a list. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

The question gets into defining criteria for plausible or believable characters and also recognizing historical determinants in narrative--that is, if we are to raise the discussion above simple opinion. JMHO, but your observations about "annoying" and "twee", in the face of massive critical commentary to the contrary, present a weak defense. Not that they are wrong, but that they limit discussion to personal preference alone.

lmp, no problem. Of course I realize you could not have known. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] The withdrawal is, I think, not limited solely to the nature of the Tolkien household, for the 19th had well-established codes of etiquette for the withdrawal of the ladies after dinner and before the cigars, so having Goldberry withdraw reinforces that social code. I think you are right that it limits the possibilities for her.

Nar, I like the idea of seeing Tom and Goldberry as time and place, but I would have to think, as lmp does, how exactly does Tom represent time. This is not a demand for you to elucidate so much as my statement that I must mull the idea over. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Bethberry

[ October 11, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]