View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
In the case of Celebrimbor being from Gondolin, I think Tolkien had just forgotten what he had previously wrote. This story is later than the LOTR and there he has Celebrimbor as a descendant of Feanor. In this version there is still an Enerdhil, but he and Celebrimbor were friends in Gondolin.
I don't think Tolkien forgot, as I think Celebrimbor as a Feanorean was later than the Elessar text, and only entered The Lord of the Rings in the revised edition (it also entered in a change to the text Concerning Galadriel And Celeborn as well).

In The Elessar, Celebrimbor is first friends with Enerdhil... but the note at the end makes Celebrimbor the maker of the jool, displacing Enerdhil (which might call into question if Enerdhil was still to be part of the tale at this point). So what I'm suggesting is that since we probably do not have Celebrimbor the Feanorean in Gondolin at all, then the maker of the jool in Gondolin can once again become Enerdhil... and Celebrimbor can make the later one in Eregion.

Regarding Findegil's post: that's a lot of work but it seemingly ignores what JRR Tolkien himself published in The Road Goes Ever On about both Galadriel and Celeborn.

I'm sure you have your reasons but to my mind the history here is muddled enough, and while these late variations are certainly interesting, I don't see why they should trump 'authorized' text, especially given that even Tolkien himself notes that late in life his memory was not retentive...

... and this adumbrated tale is about as late as it gets. I really can't see Tolkien's concern with inner consistency, as noted by Christopher Tolkien, allowing him to simply write a notably new history of Galadriel with no suggestion at all that he was aware of the major inconsistency he would be creating with two characters...

... unless he had merely forgotten what he had published versus what he had written.

Not to mention that (in my opinion) he would now have an arguably more difficult explanation before him as to why Celeborn 'from Aman' (if so) remained in Middle-earth for a time when Galadriel sailed (and was seemingly unhappy about this given his words to Aragorn in the book).

Tolkien could explain this somewhow, yes, I mean JRRT was quite inventive... but I note that when he did explain it, the explanation included that Celeborn had never been Over Sea, and would be leaving his long home of Middle-earth.

Last edited by Galin; 01-28-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote