Thread: Unworthy
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2003, 10:36 PM   #39
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Pipe

Quote:
StarDrifter (Axis Trilogy/Sara Douglass) - outrageous flirt, seducer, womaniser
Wizards need love too.

Quote:
Hmmm, well, I'm sorry if I offended anyone in my last post, but I still hold to the idea that Tolkien is no longer like the ninety percent of modern Fantasy. It shares too few of the key elements. This is like placing Homer with a group of books on Urban Legends. It doesn't work. All fantasy needn't be inferior, but it is different, is it not?
You've raised a number of good points, Iarwain, but from what I understand, your arguments seem to be based on emotional ties to Tolkien's work, and I don't really see a solid scholarly argument in there (i.e., something that would actually merit change to take place).

I think that time and evolution of literature as a whole is the only agent that may percipitate the said change. At this point, I really don't mind seeing Tolkien's works stuck next to the paperback literature that features (to borrow from Squatter's example) top-heavy, light-brained sword-maidens and their rugged counterparts, because I know the difference between the two; if some shmuck from the venerable academic world does not, it's not my problem. I refuse to let the opinions of pretentious people influence me.