View Single Post
Old 05-10-2003, 10:51 PM   #107
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Jadae grinned as the group entered the outskirts of Dale. "You'd be the first one I'd go to, Ari," the smith assured the man.

The companions inched their way through Dale. The night had already made it's presence known, and the sky was a sickly slate-grey and blue color. Few people walked the streets, a few mothers or wives scurrying home with their last purchases or young boys back from trouble-making. Jadae was finally home, and it felt wonderful to know that she didn't have to worry about traps or ancient stone library guards.

"Ari, will you take us to your home? We shouldn't waste any time in helping your mother. And I know I want to be there to see our adventure pay off," Jadae spoke, breaking a satisfied silence that only manifests itself when all work is done and the day is gone. Jadae's comment was acknowledged by nods, and perhaps an overjoyed look from Arethin.

Arethin led the long, slow walk towards his home. When he stopped in front of his house, there was a flickering light in the window. Arethin's look was one of absolute fatigue and absolute delight and happiness. Arethin trudged up to the door exhausted, and rapped on the door. The sound of something hitting a wooden floor could be heard, and the audibly loud noise of running feet sounded even from outside the homestead. The person who had ran fumbled with the door handle, which could be determined by the strange clicking metal sounds. When the door finally opened, a boy, younger than Jadae, was revealed. Everyone could see similarities between the boy and Arethin.

The two hugged, and from Jadae's angle a tear could be seen falling down the cheek of the boy. The weary faces of the rest of the group were momentarily cheered and lightened by a smile at the reunion. Suddenly, Arethin turned towards the group and gestured towards the boy.

"This is my younger brother, Elethil. El, these are my friends. They helped me get the book that could help mom," Arethin introduced the group to Elethil and Elethil to the group. The company was invited inside, and the six made their way into the home. The group was led to a back room, and Elethil cracked the door open a little, then turned to the group.

"I hope this will work," Elethil mumbled, and let the five companions into the room, closing the door behind them. They were in a dimly lit room, the only light source a candle on a bedside table. There was a bed situated in the middle of one wall, with three chairs spaced about the room. Tucked under the warm covers of the bed was a woman half-drenched by the sweat upon her brow. Her wispy sandy-blond hair had been hastily tied back in a messy style, much like the Spirit in the mountain had had.

"Mom?" Arethin whispered, and pulled up a chair close to the right side of the bed so he could be right next to his mother. Anuion dragged another chair to the nightstand by the candle. Angalos grabbed the last chair, and sat near the foot of the bed. Jack helped Jadae sit in a spot next to Anuion, and then he kneeled near the foot of the bed with his elbows on the blankets.

"Arethin! Where..." the woman began to speak, but Arethin hushed her. He nodded to Anuion, who held out a hand to Jadae. Jadae pulled the gold and brown book from her pack and handed it to Anuion, who in turn began to flip through pages looking for something. The group was silent as he searched, until his page-flipping stopped and he began to scan one page.

"This might help..." Anuion murmured, and began to read the page. "It says, 'Many sicknesses that are passed through the human-kind are simple to fix, if they'd take the chance to look for it. Several variations of diseases involving severe attacks of fever or chills and characterized by coughing fits can be healed by drinking a mix of the Soell plant and water. Humans may not have realized it yet, but even though medicines can heal, time is the greatest doctor of all...' and then it trails off onto the next page."

Arethin paled, and he turned to his mother. "Mom, what is that plant called? The one that you gave El and me all those times to help our cuts heal?"

"Why, darling?" Arethin's mother seemed a bit delusional. "I think your father always used to call it So-mel. Or So-ell. Or Soell, something..."

Arethin's eyes widened. Agile Jack leapt up and scurried towards the door, and called for Elethil to get the plant Arethin had described as being used so often and some water. The boy hurried off and returned to the door quickly with dried-up leaves and powder made from the leaves, and a cup of water. Jack dumped the powder into the cup, and as he strode back to kneel next to Arethin he set down the leaves.

"Drink this," Arethin told his mother, and the woman deliriously sipped the concoction. Jadae winced, wondering if the woman would spit the mixture out or if it tasted well enough to not cause a bother. But Arethin's mother drank the whole glass and swallowed everything.

"I think everything will be all right now, Ari," Jadae commented, peering over the top of the bed from her spot on the floor of the room. "For the Elves were right. Time is too slow for those who wait, but too swift for those who grieve. Sometimes...time can make things better."

Anuion closed the book, the Wanaparma, and everyone in the room let out a sigh of relief. It had all been worth it.